Fun With Polysorbate 80

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
FUN WITH POLYSORBATE 80

Okay, you made blooming bath oil, body and room sprays, and added Polysorbate 80 to liquid soap to dissolve and stabilize fragrance, BUT... did you know it can:

>Remove grease stains from tee shirts?
>Cure baldness?
>Be used as a shampoo?
>Create the best facial cleanser ever?

FOR GREASE STAINS: Saturate with PS-80. Rub. Toss in the washer.

FOR BALDNESS: Lord only knows whether this actually works or not, I have not tried it, but several places on the web mention this. The thinking is that excessive sebum build-up (seborrhea dermatitis) chokes off the hair folicle which then causes hair follicles to stop producing new hair thus resulting in premature baldness.

To dissolve sebum build-up: Just rub gently into the scalp at least 3 times weekly, leave on for 10 minutes, then add water, lather up and rinse thoroughly. Since hair follicles will lay dormant for up to 8 years, it may take a few months to see results!

AS A CLARIFIER: Use before shampooing following directions above to remove product build-up and excess sebum. Then shampoo as normal.

AS SHAMPOO: Use “as is” between shampoos to spare your hair and scalp from the harsh effects of daily shampooing. You will be amazed at how soft and shiny it leaves your hair.

NB: Use DRY hands on DRY hair. (Wetting your hands or hair first will cause the PS-80 to move like gooey cement!)

ETA: Adding this MMS recipe for Wool Wash while the edit button is still working.
SOURCE
http://blog.thesage.com/2010/08/06/wool-wash-with-polysorbate/

WOOL WASH
33% Polysorbate (I used Polysorbate 20)
1% Peppermint Essential Oil
66% Water, Reverse Osmosis

Last edited:
Bump.gif
Someone was asking for a hair clarifier. I'm bumping this in case you missed it. :cool:

Last edited:
You rock Zany:winner:. It worked on t-shirts that have been pre treated and washed 100's of times. Finally gave up on them till I saw your post. Figured the worst that would happen was I'd finally throw them out. Actually I treated one half of the t shirt and washed and dried, it's back in now with a couple others. So a big thank you for the info.

UPDATE: I washed a wool scarf by hand and a wool cardigan in the machine on gentle cycle, cold water wash and this recipe worked well. I spot treated with Poly-80 thirty minutes before washing.

MMS WOOL WASH RECIPE
33% Polysorbate 80
66% Distilled Water
1% Peppermint Essential Oil

Oooohhh. Great info! Like every soaper I've ever met, half my wardrobe has oil stains because I forget to change into my "soaping clothes". Good excuse to shop though! I'm giving the PS80 a try next time I do laundry. Hubby came home from work last week with large stains from some type of motor oil all over his new-ish jeans. Those will be my 1st de-greasing project! Thanks Zany!

I know this thread is about a year old, but I just wanted to share my PS80 experiences in that time and thank Zany for the info!

I've eventually washed all oil stained clothing and EVERYTHING came out. Even the shirts I'd washed and dried dozens and dozens of times are now like new. My hubby often comes home with odd oil stains and poof! they're gone. I've given PS80 to all my kids, sibs, parents, friends, etc and they all report the same. My sister told me "this stuff will change your life!"

Since I couldn't remember the thread title I wasn't able to re-read the other miracles it can perform (thanks for linking it Zany). Now I'm going to try the baldness remedy with DH and I want to try the "best facial cleanser ever". Zany, do you have any ideas on this? Do you use it straight up or blended into something else? I'm on a PS80 roll!

...I want to try the "best facial cleanser ever". Zany, do you have any ideas on this? Do you use it straight up or blended into something else? I'm on a PS80 roll!
@Krista, you really are on a kick! LOL Good for you. To tell you the truth, that's exactly the way I was many moons ago when I first discovered Polysorbate 80 to use in my Deep Cleansing Oil -- based on DHC Skincare's top selling product. Here's the link
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/deep-cleansing-oil.69671/
Thanks for asking so I could link it to this thread. :thumbs:

I bought a large bottle of it thinking I was going to be making a lot of bath salt and it's just been sitting there. Definitely going to try it on some oil stains and as a wool wash since I'm a knitter. Hair thing...couldn't hurt. My hair has thinned a lot over the last decade.

I bought a large bottle of it thinking I was going to be making a lot of bath salt and it's just been sitting there. Definitely going to try it on some oil stains and as a wool wash since I'm a knitter. Hair thing...couldn't hurt. My hair has thinned a lot over the last decade.
I have a shirt that has three stains in the color of purplish blue on the backside which I didn't see tell after I bought it. I'm gonna try to see if I can remove them, Ive tried a few stain removers w/ no luck' it may be the dye colors that they colored the shirt with? but its worth a try. My hair has thin'ed over the years' wouldent that be nice to awaken them dormant hair follicles? though mine may not be able to be resurrected. 🤣😂💫

If for nothing else, it's a great stain remover. I put a drop or two on oils stains when they happen (like dropping oily food onto my shirt) and the stains wash right out in the regular wash. The reason I bought it in the first place was that it was an ingredient in a LS recipe I wanted to try.

If for nothing else, it's a great stain remover. I put a drop or two on oils stains when they happen (like dropping oily food onto my shirt) and the stains wash right out in the regular wash. The reason I bought it in the first place was that it was an ingredient in a LS recipe I wanted to try.
Thats just fantastic. I'm so glad I found @Zany_in_CO post, Im wanting to make skin care products & I think PS80 can be used in multiple products? & it's a natural product' all the better. 🤗💫

Back