Fun With Polysorbate 80

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! This is now on my list of things to buy. Not sure about the baldness as I look more like my dad did every year I get older! But am always looking for oil spot remover. I told my daughter and she wondered if it would get rid of her Italian grease spots (areas)...hubby is Italian and both have greasy skin that comes off on collars, cuffs and pillow cases. Right now we use Dawn kitchen soap but it doesn't do well on missed oil spots or the Italian kind. I have my fingers crossed on that!

Just thought I'd update this thread. I used the PS80 on lots of old grease stains and they disappeared like magic. I also used it on my hubby's tee at the neck which was full of the Italian stains and a little dirt. It came out lots cleaner than it ever had before, enough that I no longer want to throw it out. The pillow cases are acceptable, too. I plan on using it each time I launder so maybe it will work over time with them. Now I just have to remember to take some of it into the bathroom so I can start to use it on my hair before I shower. That would definitely make it a fantastic buy! As it is currently, I will never be without it in the laundry room!

Thanks for the encouraging update, @Quilter99755! I was just planning to strip-soak some of my (formerly) white sheets that have gotten dingy on my husband's side, since he runs so warm when he sleeps.

The plan was a long soak in a bathtub filled with hot water + washing soda + borax (NB, for those who have never done that to your sheets, be prepared for some crazy dark water that will utterly disgust you in a morbidly fascinating way).

But now I'm thinking about adding some PS80 to the soak, as well. Maybe I'll do the pillowcases in a separate bucket just to see if I can spot any difference in how clean they come out. Will report back if I do get to try it!

But now I'm thinking about adding some PS80 to the soak, as well.
I wonder if it would be more effective to apply it to the sheets and then wash without the soak. I know I've done it this way when I've worn my hubby's hoodie into the dungeon not intending to do anything messy so I didn't put my apron on but oh look at that I somehow covered the hoodie is oily stuff and now hubby is mad. If it's a really big spot (like the belly area of said hoodie) I will cover it with a thin layer of PS80 before telling hubby to throw it directly into the washer. [This is the closest to doing laundry I've been in 4 years.] Anyways, I'm just thinking this way because PS80 is an emulsifier, so you would have to agitate your soaking water to get the PS80 dispersed through the water and give it the action of pulling it out. I'm not sure what the soak with PS80 would really do. Maybe soak and then add PS80 before washing? Fortunately PS80 a little goes a long way, it doesn't take much to spread over an area and get the job done.

I wonder if it would be more effective to apply it to the sheets and then wash without the soak. I know I've done it this way when I've worn my hubby's hoodie into the dungeon not intending to do anything messy so I didn't put my apron on but oh look at that I somehow covered the hoodie is oily stuff and now hubby is mad. If it's a really big spot (like the belly area of said hoodie) I will cover it with a thin layer of PS80 before telling hubby to throw it directly into the washer. [This is the closest to doing laundry I've been in 4 years.] Anyways, I'm just thinking this way because PS80 is an emulsifier, so you would have to agitate your soaking water to get the PS80 dispersed through the water and give it the action of pulling it out. I'm not sure what the soak with PS80 would really do. Maybe soak and then add PS80 before washing? Fortunately PS80 a little goes a long way, it doesn't take much to spread over an area and get the job done.
Thanks AMD, that's great info. My next question was going to be "how much PS80 do I apply" and you have answered that before I asked.

Because we are talking about a body-sized dinginess in the sheets, I think I'll start with the strip-soak. Then if any spots are left, I can apply PS80 to just those spots before tossing the sheets into the regular wash. Will try to take pics of the process if I remember.

@AliOop
My Daughter gifted me some really nice Skin Care Product when I visited this past weekend, She works for a major "Skin Care Company" It's very expensive 2 bottles cost close to $400.00 & its only 2oz in each. I was looking at the ingredients & in one product they used "PS20" in the other they used "PS60 + PS80" of course all theses other skin loving extracts' flower cell extracts' much more. Thought you'ed find this interesting.
At her Company they have an On-Site little zoo where they do their animal testing & yes prime mates are housed their too. 💫👍🏼. Hugh Company In the Ageless Skin Care Products Industry.

Wow, @Peachy Clean Soap those are some crazy prices! That's exactly why I decided to make my own dark-eye-circle serum. It was supposed to be a cream, but I forgot to buy the thickener, so it's a serum. ;)
Right' I'm w/ you. I'm researching the ingredients & sure I can come somewhat close. I was excited about the PS80 PS20 & PS60 used in their product. Had to share w/ you' oh & I did order it & I'm gonna add it in my next lotion. 👍🏼💫

Back