fun with 2" pvc tubes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartsong

Reaction score
a few years ago dh cut up six 2"x 12" pvc tubes for me. this was when i was still "warm+ soaping". i would line them with wax paper and tape the end shut. they were "self insulating" and i had no problems getting them out.

now that i'm doing rtcp and COLD rtcp, i've had a few challenges getting the soap to gel and come out of the molds. this weekend i've had some time to tinker with this, and i've found an workable soloution.

at lowe's i found smooth, flat "test caps" (69 cents) that fit perfectly and allows the tubes to stand upright.

after trying silicone baking paper (works pretty good), i cut a piece of the clear "stickybacked" contact paper (leaving the paper on) 7" wide by 12" long. i rolled it up tight into a small tube, and then relaxed it. slid it into the tube, jiggled it a bit, and it conformed perfectly to the tube. i put the cap on, taped it shut with masking tape.

i shot a little PAM cooking spray into the tube so the end cap wouldn't stick, and soaped as usual.

i found a cardboard box 10"x10"x15" tall, stuck my heating pad in the bottom on low, and placed my tubes inside. i tucked some bubble wrap around them just to keep them upright, and placed a towel over the whole thing.

i kept peeking, and they warmed up very nicely, if a little slowly at first. after a couple hours they were uniformly warm and i shut off the heating pad.

this morning when i went to unmold, they FLEW out of the tubes just as nice as can be, and unwrapped easily. these liners can be re-used.

i love using these tubes, as they make darling guest/sample soaps wrapped in the 4x4 multi-colors candy foil ( www.atrsupplies.com ) and put in colorful organza bags ( www.yourorganzabag.com ) the bags cost 5 cents.

i soap using 16 oz oil @ 33% which leaves a tiny bit leftover. if anyone contemplates doing this, then i would make them 13" long.

the pipe comes in 10' lengths for about $7, and they will cut them in half at the store for easier travel home. (don't forget to buy end test caps!).

they are fairly easy to cut using a miter box and a hacksaw. then sand the ends. wash them in soap and water and your're ready to soap.

i highly reccommend these little tubes-they're great for testing colors and f/o's, too.

cut at 1/2" they will yield 20-21 1 oz. little soapies! and you can cut them with a wire cheese slicer. (the kind with the cutting board, with an arm that raises and lowers to cut the cheese) i haven't had a wire break yet, but it would be wise to order a couple of spares.

happy soaping! :D

I used PVC tubing a lot when I was making BioDiesel glycerin soap. I used 6 foot long sections, no liners. To get the soap out I cut a piece of wood to fit snugly inside the tubing and attached it to a long handle. I used this to press the soap out. For the very soft BioDiesel glycerin soap, it worked OK... for our hard soaps I'm not sure if it would work for lengths that long.

It's a great idea for test batches.

The contact paper liner is agreat idea! I'm definitely going to give it a try.

By the way, You can also buy a 2" to 3" adapter for this tubing. They're only a few $$ and look just like a funnel. They make pouring soap into the tubing much easier :D

x

donniej said:
By the way, You can also buy a 2" to 3" adapter for this tubing. They're only a few $$ and look just like a funnel. They make pouring soap into the tubing much easier :D

:shock: great idea!

thanks, next trip to lowe's i'll get some! :D

Great post, Monet!

I've been thinking about buying some pvc pipe. The Ace Hardware store near me says that they will cut what I need. I already have that contact paper you mentioned.

Thanks for the tips!! :)

Jude

I love using PVC pipe - it is certainly self-insulating! I use a rolled up silicone baking mat to line mine, or just some silicone spray quite often (my mat goes missing a lot).

If not lined, I recommend not going over 18" long.

A word of advice for the foil wrapping - it can discolor very badly over time. I wrap in a coffee filter.

carebear said:
I love using PVC pipe - it is certainly self-insulating! I use a rolled up silicone baking mat to line mine, or just some silicone spray quite often (my mat goes missing a lot).

If not lined, I recommend not going over 18" long.

A word of advice for the foil wrapping - it can discolor very badly over time. I wrap in a coffee filter.

thanks for the tip on the foil-i haven't noticed it yet, but i'll keep my eye on it.

i noticed at www.nashvillewraps.com they have a rainbow assortment of the WAXED tissue papers. i might just go ahead and order some. wrapping with tissue is almost as easy as foil, and then use a round label to affix the back-something pretty, like a gift sticker.

and i thought i'd try some foil gift wrap-it's paperlined.

i plan on dusting off and fooling around with my 3" molds next time i'm home.

there is just something very appealing about round soaps! :D

I am off tomorrow to buy some PVC tubes for soap making. I need to make more shaving soap and the round tubes are ideal.

I had an idea, but not sure if it will work, will let you know.

I was thinking of slicing the tubes open lengthwise. To pour in the soap, cover the cut with tape (that silver stuff which sticks really well). Once it is ready to be unmolded remove the tape and the soap should come out easily as I can bend the tube open slightly.

I'll propably also use that tape to make sure the end-cap doesn't come off during the pour.

x

BTW, one of our forum members, jaaret posted a fabulous tutorial for wrapping round soap in his post MY FALL SOAPS dated march 3rd '09, in the photo gallery.

it looks like a slightly larger soap, (pringles can?)

can anyone link that post to this one, plz?

this would be great for anyone soaping rounds larger than 2".

TIA! :D

Re: x

heartsong said:
BTW, one of our forum members, jaaret posted a fabulous tutorial for wrapping round soap in his post MY FALL SOAPS dated march 3rd '09, in the photo gallery.

it looks like a slightly larger soap, (pringles can?)

can anyone link that post to this one, plz?

this would be great for anyone soaping rounds larger than 2".

TIA! :D

Here's the link to My Fall Soaps
http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7213

heartsong, I agree that there is something about round soaps. I just did some beer soap in my 3" & 2" PVC pipes. Used waxed freezer paper, rolled as you did & capped the end.Had about 2" extended passed the top. No problem at all pulling my soap out by the ends of the freezer paper the next day, came out nice & easy. Love this soap.....
misty

x

misty said:
heartsong, I agree that there is something about round soaps. I just did some beer soap in my 3" & 2" PVC pipes. Used waxed freezer paper, rolled as you did & capped the end.Had about 2" extended passed the top. No problem at all pulling my soap out by the ends of the freezer paper the next day, came out nice & easy. Love this soap.....
misty

great idea! :D

i don't know where my head was at, as i have a roll of that sitting on my shelf that i used to line my wooden slab molds!

thanks for the reminder! :D

Sounds like a really good idea for pretty little guest sized tester soaps!!

I use that contact paper stuff from time to time and really like it! It doesn't wrinkle as easily as parchment paper, and like you said, it can be used again and again! I've used the same piece about 5 times and could have used it a lot more, but I just got lazy and didn't feel like cleaning it anymore. LOL

x

AshleyR said:
Sounds like a really good idea for pretty little guest sized tester soaps!!

I use that contact paper stuff from time to time and really like it! It doesn't wrinkle as easily as parchment paper, and like you said, it can be used again and again! I've used the same piece about 5 times and could have used it a lot more, but I just got lazy and didn't feel like cleaning it anymore. LOL

don't forget, too that christmas is coming and they would make a nice colorful addition to gift baskets!

what size

I may make me a wooden mold for 1 lb. What dimensions should it be ?

I'm rather handy with a saw !!

Charlotte

Re: what size

charlotteda said:

Charlotte

i'm not really sure on the dimensions for a 1 pound loaf mold, but i'm sure someone here in the forum has one. perhaps post the question on a new thread?

another possibility, check out www.creeksidemolds.com

i believe they have a 1 pound mold and they list the dimensions. :D

Heartsong, I am loving my pvc soaps!! I use plastic wrap, small strip folded in half and then in half again, I put that over the test end and put the pipe on. Fits really snug and then you don't have to spray. I use freezer paper on the inside. When it is time to take them out, they just slide out wonderfully.
Also loving the cheese cutter!!! Haven't gotten my DH to make my guide yet, that will make it even easier to cut.
Now when ever I make a well tested batch, I make 14oz extra to put in the pvc. Definitely thinking of christmas!!!

x

country gal said:
Heartsong, I am loving my pvc soaps!! I use plastic wrap, small strip folded in half and then in half again, I put that over the test end and put the pipe on. Fits really snug and then you don't have to spray. I use freezer paper on the inside. When it is time to take them out, they just slide out wonderfully.
Also loving the cheese cutter!!! Haven't gotten my DH to make my guide yet, that will make it even easier to cut.
Now when ever I make a well tested batch, I make 14oz extra to put in the pvc. Definitely thinking of christmas!!!

great tip!

i'll try that when i get back home! :D

some of the simplest ideas turn out to be the best!

BTW< www.cottonblossomcrafts.com has some very resonable (and nice) bath accessories, too!

Re: what size

charlotteda said:

Charlotte

I'm sorry I missed this! I think it's a personal preference on a 1 lb soap mold. I made mine 3.5" W x 4.5" L x 3.5" H for 16 oz of oil. I cut the soap into 4 pieces so they are about 5 oz each. I wanted beefier bars. I also have a mold that's the same except 3.25" W. I make my bars about 2.25" to 2.5" tall. Good luck!

Back