Frustration at other businesses

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if there is a standard against which you measure wisdom, but I do know that people get better with age, whatever their starting point may be.

Yes, I do agree with that. I guess maybe I should have maybe said that a few people will always choose to not use their wisdom. That old saying there's one in every crowd. ;)

Wow! Selling soap three days after it's out of the mold because it's hard enough? And here I am planning on building a business selling soap that has cured for a minimum of six months . I must really be stupid, because I could make a fortune in the time it will take to cure one bar. SMH

As far as the coco woman... She's an idiot just ignore her and let her fail.

But I think marketing your soap as natural is fine, there's big company's here in London who market as natural. I do it with my soap and at first it hurt to do it, but now I know customers lap it up and it works so it's fine.

If you make soaps to sell them then it's something you should try
As far as the coco woman... She's an idiot just ignore her and let her fail.

But I think marketing your soap as natural is fine, there's big company's here in London who market as natural. I do it with my soap and at first it hurt to do it, but now I know customers lap it up and it works so it's fine.

If you make soaps to sell them then it's something you should try

P.s what's the Facebook group name or link?

I wonna join ✌️

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a pity you are still making claims on your FB page.
quote -

Regular use of our soap cures psoriasis, eczema and other skin conditions like dry skin, itchy skin, and even bug bites.

I wouldn't touch your soap with a ten foot pole.
As far as the coco woman... She's an idiot just ignore her and let her fail. It says it all really.

.......But I think marketing your soap as natural is fine, there's big company's here in London who market as natural. I do it with my soap and at first it hurt to do it, but now I know customers lap it up and it works so it's fine.

If you make soaps to sell them then it's something you should try ......

Posting on a public forum that you are happy to mislead customers because they "lap it up"? Interesting strategy.

As for claims, while here in Europe we do indeed make cosmetics by default (all soap in the eu is a cosmetic, for those who didn't know) we still have to avoid certain claims that take us in to drug categories. Which is why things like cosmetic eye creams will only "reduce the appearance" of fine lines and wrinkles, not actually reduce them.

Posting on a public forum that you are happy to mislead customers because they "lap it up"? Interesting strategy.

I think you misunderstood me, my soap Is100% natural, I'm not miss leading anyone, it was just hard at first because it was a different marketing strategy from what I was used to, but a soap being 100% natural is the biggest weapon a soap maker has in the marketing battle, other wise it's just soap and you'll be going up against the big boys like LUSH

Last edited:
Interesting thread. Just forces me to say something.

I have been making soap for less than a year. I really like making soap. I like being creative and producing a handmade product.
(my background)
I was a project manager on multi million dollar projects for many years.
( back to MY rant)

I am not ready to sell soap - although I have lots made in reserve - and may never do so. As I look at the possible risks ( risk analysis defense) and the number of people that can make false claims against me or my business these days I just have too many unanswered doubts.
With people that sell after 3 days "because it's hard enough" and people that do not correctly label their products there are problems created that ripple through the entire handmade, natural and home produced or grown industry. All of this can only eventually bring about a huge amount of regulation that will make it impossible for any of us to enjoy making hand made crafts and sharing them .
I strongly feel that THIS is the main reason that we all need to be very careful about what we say about our products and how or when we sell. It is a very well known fact that soap may be used at any time - i may just peel your hide off if'n it aint done being soap yet.
Sooner or later one of these "I sell my soaps after a couple of days" is going to seriously hurt someone and the repercussions are going to effect more than just the perpetrator.

Ste are you from the UK?

Because we already have enough regulations over here lol

If you don't follow them you get a fine or worse.

So like I said just leave them to it.

My decision to not sell is more personal. I've been making lye based soap for over a year now. Early on people browbeat me into selling, thank God it was on a very small level and short lived. I'm embarrassed about that early soap, it was lousy. . My soaps are much better now and I see them getting better. My personal goal is to be an artisan, not a soap company. I'd much rather have people asking for some of my soap because they love it (yes I have a few) than me trying to convince them to buy it. I have great respect for quality soap companies but I also at times can tell when someone just wants to turn a buck. They diminish the craft and make it harder for all as stated above.

I think you misunderstood me, my soap Is100% natural, I'm not miss leading anyone,

The marketing angle seems to have prevented you from giving this the slightest thought.

Natural = "existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind"

Did you grow your soap? Did you find it in the forest, dig it out of the ground, fish it out of the sea? Did it fall out of the sky? Get hurled out of a volcano?

Synthetic or man-made products are those that are produced by chemical reactions and other processes in factories. I kind of suspect that is how you're coming up with soap in your little factory. That's how the rest of us do it.

Gasoline, there's an example of a mostly natural product. Refined but not synthesized.

The marketing angle seems to have prevented you from giving this the slightest thought.

Natural = "existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind"

Did you grow your soap? Did you find it in the forest, dig it out of the ground, fish it out of the sea? Did it fall out of the sky? Get hurled out of a volcano?

Synthetic or man-made products are those that are produced by chemical reactions and other processes in factories. I kind of suspect that is how you're coming up with soap in your little factory. That's how the rest of us do it.

Gasoline, there's an example of a mostly natural product. Refined but not synthesized.

Just curious, not debating :)
So in your opinion no soap is natural?

Just curious, not debating :)

So in your opinion no soap is natural?

I'm not tomahawk (my new nickname for ToMH), but if you cook an animal over a fire pit and then some rain seeps in the ashes making a potash which then mixes with the fat to make a soap - then yes, THAT soap might be considered natural. Although, as the cooking etc was performed by someone, it is arguable still not natural.

Now, if someone is selling soap made when lightning hits a tree, which catches fire and falls on a wild pig.............

My decision to not sell is more personal. I've been making lye based soap for over a year now. Early on people browbeat me into selling, thank God it was on a very small level and short lived. I'm embarrassed about that early soap, it was lousy. . My soaps are much better now and I see them getting better. My personal goal is to be an artisan, not a soap company. I'd much rather have people asking for some of my soap because they love it (yes I have a few) than me trying to convince them to buy it. I have great respect for quality soap companies but I also at times can tell when someone just wants to turn a buck. They diminish the craft and make it harder for all as stated above.

And then there are well respected soap experts who promote businesses by inexperienced soapers.
www.soapqueen.com/business/interview-with-lauren-of-single-barrel-soaps
She made soap for Christmas (she says "last" which I take to mean 2014) and started her company the beginning of 2015.

And then there are well respected soap experts who promote businesses by inexperienced soapers.
www.soapqueen.com/business/interview-with-lauren-of-single-barrel-soaps
She made soap for Christmas (she says "last" which I take to mean 2014) and started her company the beginning of 2015.

Well that was a love fest. I see more soap companies going under and people selling their supplies these days.
I'm not tomahawk (my new nickname for ToMH), but if you cook an animal over a fire pit and then some rain seeps in the ashes making a potash which then mixes with the fat to make a soap - then yes, THAT soap might be considered natural. Although, as the cooking etc was performed by someone, it is arguable still not natural.

Now, if someone is selling soap made when lightning hits a tree, which catches fire and falls on a wild pig.............
May I just call you Tommy.

Cute son by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am of the belief that what we make is not natural. I don't tout any claims as I'm not into misleading my customers. I make and sell soap that is made with stuff you can pronounce and that is better than anything you can buy in the store. I use both EO and FO. I use spiced and herbs to color and I use Micas. My customers like pretty great smelling soap and other products. Therefor I take great pleasure that they want them and I love making them.

Relle Don't get jealous ��

I think you misunderstood me, my soap Is100% natural, I'm not miss leading anyone, it was just hard at first because it was a different marketing strategy from what I was used to, but a soap being 100% natural is the biggest weapon a soap maker has in the marketing battle, other wise it's just soap and you'll be going up against the big boys like LUSH
Sorry soap is not 100% natural. Sodium Hydroxide is Manufactured and is not Natural. I tell my customers that ask it is all natural that it is as natural as I can get it. I refuse to mis-lead customers and use it as a selling strategy. And as Shari mentioned, colorants, EO and FO's all play a part.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back