Frustrated!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mommysoaper

Reaction score
Made my usual OMH soap the other day and put it in the fridge. It looked so pretty on top when I went to cut it and saw it was gelled inside! Bummer! I had planned to put the OMH soap into a silicone mold and put it in the fridge (which works better for me in the summer to prevent gelling) but forgot and put it into a wooden mold. I still put it in the fridge, but it wasn't enough to prevent gelling. I was so disappointed. I loved the winter when I could set my milk soaps and such on the screened in front porch and have them all turn out nice and creamy. Have to get back into the summer time mindset! The two cut soaps are from my wooden mold loaf. The little bar to the right is one made in an individual silicone mold.

IMAG0547.jpg

Wow, that's a huge difference! I'm sorry that it didn't turn out the way you wanted it to, but it's still pretty.

I think it looks cool, but I understand your disappointment. I see partial gel on other people's soap and I think it looks fine - on my soap I hate it. :) Yours is more than partial, but really, it's got a cool look to it.

Thanks! Just disappointed I didn't remember to switch to silicone. Would've made a huge difference! Oh well! It's a good reminder to switch to my summer routine for milk/beer soaps!

So, now I learn that soap can get a different color according to the temperature when curing. I didn’t know that. Does this influence the quality of the soap or the lather?

What is this gel you are mentioning? Saponification problem?

Don't fret, It still looks cool and remember it is still soap. Have you ever tried putting a mica design in the middle to hide the gel? When this happens to me I put a soap stamp directly in the middle with glittery gold or silver mica.

I know it's not what you expected but it still looks nice.

Innerdiva - that's a great idea about the mica stamp.

I do sometimes stamp my soaps, but for a basic OMH I tend to like it pretty basic, but I could always change that!

sapwn- gelling is nothing bad, it's just a phase soap can go through if the temps are high enough. I actually like to gel my regular soaps because my colors "pop" more. I don't like to gel with my milk soaps because of how dark they get and the chance for overheating.

It is a really major difference from the smaller bar, but it still looks nice to me.

Latest posts

Back