Frustrated with the state

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusti

Reaction score
...of the state? I work at a public university in southern Illinois for my full time day hobby and I'm about at my wit's end with our state leaders. We've been 9 months now without a budget for FY16, which means the whole public university system in the state, and the community colleges, and the vocational schools haven't gotten a penny from the state all year.

Now, with the proposed cuts for FY17 my university is talking about a huge number of lay offs. I already felt like the walking dead at work and now it's just worse. I'm not sitting idle with the resume of course, but there's not a whole lot of opportunity for my profession (at least at a living wage) around here and I really didn't/don't want to leave the university either.

I want to shake the three silverback gorillas in Springfield until their brains rattle around between their ears I'm so frustrated and angry and scared. Nobody should have to live like this because of somebody else's political agenda.

If you are the praying sort, as I am, I could use the boost. If you have connections in the SEMO, western Kentucky or southern IL area, I can use those too. I'd really rather it not come to competing with 180 other people if they have to do the layoffs. Gah!

/vent (sorry guys)

I'm so sorry you're in the middle of such a volitile situation, Rusti. Public education has always been at the center of political tug-of-war which is so sad for the entire population. Praying your state gets it together soon for the sake of the students, teachers and all support staff!

Ugh, I feel your pain. I too work in public ed in a Midwestern state, and had I known 15 years ago when I was deciding on a career that this is what it would be like, I would have chosen differently. I love what I do but damnit, sometimes "the brass" makes it really hard to keep our heads up.

I struggle with kids who come to me wanting to go into education and needing advice - on the one hand I want to encourage some really bright kids to teach because I think they'll be great at it! And the other part of me just wants to scream "RUN! RUN AWAY!"

Aw Rusti, I'm sorry. It's a shame what's happened to Illinois for the last several years. Its a long climb back up to even reach normal.

Sounds like you're in Carbondale? If so, they used to have a reputation of really trying to be creative in finding new spots for their employees, and maybe still do?

Aw Rusti, I'm sorry. It's a shame what's happened to Illinois for the last several years. Its a long climb back up to even reach normal.

Sounds like you're in Carbondale? If so, they used to have a reputation of really trying to be creative in finding new spots for their employees, and maybe still do?

Yes. I guess it remains to be seen. I thought I was finally in a place where I could stay. Take classes (Free tuition is worth a lot!) and move up and around inside the system. Maybe it will still work out that way, I dunno.

I'm not surprised that three grown men and their cronies can't agree on anything, I'm just disappointed. We got the FY17 proposal in email today and I just hit a new low for the afternoon.

My sister just retired from the CPS a few years ago and it makes her crazy hearing whats going on in Springfield. They should all be absolutely ashamed of themselves!!! PRAYERs gone up and blessings are coming down!!

These politicians are definitely losing their grip on reality! Let's vote, whatever your party affiliation!!:evil:

So sorry you're going through all this, it isn't the world I grew up in. (I'm 57 yrs old)

Latest posts

Back