FRUSTRATED about the "correct way" to weigh

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until you get a good handle on what works for you, posting a proposed recipe here will get you feedback that will save you lots of oils. All we need is something like this:

Oil 1 %
Oil 2 %
Oil 3 %
Oil 4 %
Superfat %
Any milks or other additives that affect the bar.

We do not need to know what scents or colors. Unless you just want to. But pics after cutting help feed our addictions. *ahem* I mean help us troubleshoot any problems.

Until you get a good handle on what works for you, posting a proposed recipe here will get you feedback that will save you lots of oils. All we need is something like this:

Oil 1 %
Oil 2 %
Oil 3 %
Oil 4 %
Superfat %
Any milks or other additives that affect the bar.

We do not need to know what scents or colors. Unless you just want to. But pics after cutting help feed our addictions. *ahem* I mean help us troubleshoot any problems.

Sorry by chance can you tell me how to reduce the poundage on this recipe it's from soap queen and I'd really love to try it I've got the ingredients on the way to me now but it's for a 5#loaf and I only have 2.5# and a 3# so how do I go about making this a 3#?

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...presso-shot-cold-process-tutorial/#more-38230

I weighed mine in grams. But I just wanted to know if anyone melt their coconut oil and palm oil before weighing? Because tested it, I weighed my coconut oil unmelted then weighed again after it melted and the result was it's short of 6 grams. I know I weighed it right before I melted.

Sorry by chance can you tell me how to reduce the poundage on this recipe it's from soap queen and I'd really love to try it I've got the ingredients on the way to me now but it's for a 5#loaf and I only have 2.5# and a 3# so how do I go about making this a 3#?

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...presso-shot-cold-process-tutorial/#more-38230

I can expand on this or include images to be more clear later. However, I can only do the quick and dirty version while using my phone at present. The Soap Queen recipe that you linked to uses six oils and butters. Adding the six weights together gives you a total weight of 54.8oz.

Take each individual weight and divide it by that total to yield a percent. For example, 5.5oz cocoa butter / 54.8oz total oils gives you a value of 10%. Repeating the process with the remaining five fats yields a recipe that looks like this:

10% cocoa butter
25% coconut oil
5% coffee butter
5% hazelnut oil
30% olive oil
25% palm oil

The percentages of oils/butters should equal 100% when added together or there is a mistake in either the original recipe or your math.

You can then enter this recipe into a lye calculator along with your total batch weight. The calculator will scale the recipe appropriately and generate the amount of lye and water required dependent on your specified percentage of superfat and water/lye concentration.

You can easily select for the measurement of your choice (I prefer grams) and change the total weight to reflect whichever mold you choose to utilize.

Last edited:
I can expand on this or include images to be more clear later. However, I can only do the quick and dirty version while using my phone at present. The Soap Queen recipe that you linked to uses six oils and butters. Adding the six weights together gives you a total weight of 54.8oz.

Take each individual weight and divide it by that total to yield a percent. For example, 5.5oz cocoa butter / 54.8oz total oils gives you a value of 10%. Repeating the process with the remaining five fats yields a recipe that looks like this:

10% cocoa butter
25% coconut oil
5% coffee butter
5% hazelnut oil
30% olive oil
25% palm oil

The percentages of oils/butters should equal 100% when added together or there is a mistake in either the original recipe or your math.

You can then enter this recipe into a lye calculator along with your total batch weight. The calculator will scale the recipe appropriately and generate the amount of lye and water required dependent on your specified percentage of superfat and water/lye concentration.

You can easily select for the measurement of your choice (I prefer grams) and change the total weight to reflect whichever mold you choose to utilize.

I think I understand but let me say it back to make sure I have it right. Unfortunately I'm a visual learner in most cases so I hope I got this right, plz correct me if I mess up somewhere along the way.
Add up all the oils & butters which will equal 54.8 then divide the 1st butter 5.5 by the 54.8 to get the 10%, I do this to each one to come up with 100%, take those butters & oils percentage and put in my lye calc each one listing the %, since I want to use a 3# loaf which totals 48oz I put that in the calc for my total loaf weight, once I click preview to see all the numbers that when it'll show me the total grams/oz I need for each butter/oil/water/lye/etc? Do I have this right?

Sounds right to me Desirae, give it a whirl.

Biarine, oil shouldn't weigh less after it's melted. Check and double check that one - there shouldn't be a difference.

I just wanted to know if anyone melt their coconut oil and palm oil before weighing? Because tested it, I weighed my coconut oil unmelted then weighed again after it melted and the result was it's short of 6 grams. I know I weighed it right before I melted.

Another option to scale a recipe is to put it in to a calc as is, calculate it, switch to % mode and adjust the total target weight from the original to your required size - the calcs take the weight amounts and work out the % anyway so let it do the hard work, I say.

Coffee butter is one of those 'fake' butters that are so popular in bath and body these days.

WSP lists the INCI as: Coffea Arabica Seed Oil (and) Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil

So it is a touch of coffee EO and alot of what basically amounts to Crisco.

I would not use it in soap.

I am having trouble finding "coffee butter" on any of the soap calculators.

This is a very complicated recipe for a newbie. Just saying.
You can use the shortening choice in soap calc Bramble Berry wants to sell you their coffee butter which is a little coffee oil and hydrogenated vegetable oil (basically shortening)

I weighed mine in grams. But I just wanted to know if anyone melt their coconut oil and palm oil before weighing? Because tested it, I weighed my coconut oil unmelted then weighed again after it melted and the result was it's short of 6 grams. I know I weighed it right before I melted.
If you melted in one container and poured it into another you would lose oil. Solid and liquid should weigh the same. 6 grams unless making a super tiny batch is not going to matter much

You can use the shortening choice in soap calc Bramble Berry wants to sell you their coffee butter which is a little coffee oil and hydrogenated vegetable oil (basically shortening)

If you melted in one container and poured it into another you would lose oil. Solid and liquid should weigh the same. 6 grams unless making a super tiny batch is not going to matter much

Thanks, Yeah I don't make big batches, I make only for our household.

Latest posts

Back