Fruity soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M@e

Reaction score
Hi!
I’ve been making cold-processed soap for 2 years now and I prefer to use all-natural ingredients. From time to time, I get requests for a “fruity” soap. So, I’m wondering if anyone would like to share ideas for making a fruity scented all-natural soap. Thanks

take some fruit rinds, i. e lemon, kiwi, banana peel and boil it. Then, use the water from that for your lye. You then enhance that with the appropriate EO.

I suggest that you buy a small EO still and make your own EOs.

You can use banana puree, baby pears, mango puree, papaya puree, etc. It many ethnic deli especially Hispanic markets there are frozen purees that work well in soap. These will not leave any fragrance. Any baby food purees.

I am sorry I need to learn to read. :p I have had good luck with Key Lime EO, which is the only lime I have had hold well, and sticks well with Litsea. It is hard with Citrus Essentials, they just like to fade. Grapefruit with a small percentage of Patchouli or a tiny tiny bit of Thyme will anchor it. I mean drops of Thyme it is powerful or even Basil which is also very powerful but will stick like glue and anchor the grapefruit.

Last edited:
Have you tried the usual lemongrass, litsea, citrusy herbs? They smell so good! For other types of fruits.... I've come up with some fruity concoctions, but they just smell weird. Like palmarosa and spices, smells like apple pie and rotting roses. Just can't get it right myself.

My family kept asking me for an all natural rose soap, forgetting over and over why I couldn't ($$$$$). Eventually I made a rose FO soap and it smelled so good they didn't mind the chemicals after all ;)

Maybe just try one wee batch of FO soap?:nodding:

take some fruit rinds, i. e lemon, kiwi, banana peel and boil it. Then, use the water from that for your lye. You then enhance that with the appropriate EO.

Ok I will try this, thanks!

Have you tried the usual lemongrass, litsea, citrusy herbs? They smell so good! For other types of fruits.... I've come up with some fruity concoctions, but they just smell weird. Like palmarosa and spices, smells like apple pie and rotting roses. Just can't get it right myself.

My family kept asking me for an all natural rose soap, forgetting over and over why I couldn't ($$$$$). Eventually I made a rose FO soap and it smelled so good they didn't mind the chemicals after all ;)

Maybe just try one wee batch of FO soap?:nodding:
I’m very familiar with Lemongrass but not so much with Litsea. I did some reading on Litsea and I’m going to order some and try it out. Thanks for the feedback

You can use banana puree, baby pears, mango puree, papaya puree, etc. It many ethnic deli especially Hispanic markets there are frozen purees that work well in soap. These will not leave any fragrance. Any baby food purees.

I am sorry I need to learn to read. :p I have had good luck with Key Lime EO, which is the only lime I have had hold well, and sticks well with Litsea. It is hard with Citrus Essentials, they just like to fade. Grapefruit with a small percentage of Patchouli or a tiny tiny bit of Thyme will anchor it. I mean drops of Thyme it is powerful or even Basil which is also very powerful but will stick like glue and anchor the grapefruit.
Thanks so much for your feedback! I’m going to try the Key Lime

Ok thanks for the suggestions! I’m going to try it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

It takes a tremendous amount of plant material to get more than a few drops of EO. I know, as I have tried it. Buying your own still for the regular soap maker is a waste of money that can be better used buying EOs already distilled.

To my nose Litsea is more citrus than Lemongrass, which I find to be more green. I always mix Litsea with Lemongrass.

Some people such as me, do much better with synthetics than I do with botanicals. I am very allergic to many plant materials so I love synthetics. So many folks poo poo synthetic but there is a place for them in this world. There was a time I was very allergic to Lavender but that has eased, although it does not mean it will not happen again. Never think the almighty Natural is the answer for all. I am not putting down anyone for how they feel, I am just mentioning there is a place for many different things in this world.

It takes a tremendous amount of plant material to get more than a few drops of EO. I know, as I have tried it. Buying your own still for the regular soap maker is a waste of money that can be better used buying EOs already distilled.

That is not entirely true, there are some all glass stills out there that can extract a remarkable amount of EO out of a small amount of foliage.

What kind of still were you using?

I used steam distillation. Here is documentation from a reliable source, to back my statement. Do you have reliable documentation to back your reply?
https://www.aromaweb.com/articles/essential-oil-yields.asp

https://simplers.com/essential-oil-production/
Ah but for the diehard wannamake my own essential oils......hard to resist. Its like saying dont make your own donuts, as there are perfectly good donuts in the store.....and less expensive....famous last words. I cant hardly wait until I can afford a still as I really want to play with distilling essential oils...and having the hydrosols besides. I understand that you tried it and found that it wasnt for you, but I really wanna give it a go.

Those reports aren't really peer reviewed. They didn't detail the variations in oil content on a plant to plant basis or based on location.
You can grow the same plant side by side and the yield between the two plants can be miles different.
If you get a small glass still like this, you will get enough EO of a batch without much foliage.
This is a specialized still for extracting EOs.
View attachment 42141
Waiting for your peer reviewed documents to show you can get a lot from very little material. Curious minds want to know. Several have tried here through the years with not much luck.

@cmzaha wrote -- "...a tiny tiny bit of Thyme..."

Thyme EO will accelerate saponification, speaking from experience, so Carolyn's advice to use a tiny bit is a very good idea. A small amount of thyme would give a lovely spicy undertone to a citrus fragrance and this EO does last a long time in soap.

To those who are debating distillation of EOs, y'all may want to take this to a new thread. I can see this quickly getting intense, and it's not really helping the OP.

Thyme EO will accelerate saponification, speaking from experience, so Carolyn's advice to use a tiny bit is a very good idea. A small amount of thyme would give a lovely spicy undertone to a citrus fragrance and this EO does last a long time in soap.

To those who are debating distillation of EOs, y'all may want to take this to a new thread. I can see this quickly getting intense, and it's not really helping the OP.
Need to get with the program here....what is OP?
Also, are you near DBQ?

To my nose Litsea is more citrus than Lemongrass, which I find to be more green. I always mix Litsea with Lemongrass.

Some people such as me, do much better with synthetics than I do with botanicals. I am very allergic to many plant materials so I love synthetics. So many folks poo poo synthetic but there is a place for them in this world. There was a time I was very allergic to Lavender but that has eased, although it does not mean it will not happen again. Never think the almighty Natural is the answer for all. I am not putting down anyone for how they feel, I am just mentioning there is a place for many different things in this world.
Thanks for your feedback

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back