fruit and vegetable in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debidebi

Reaction score
Must vegetables be cooked before adding to the soap?? How would one =add these to soap..must they get blended up? wont they go 'off' and 'mouldy'..been wanting to try this for ages now...
x
Any recipes with these in would be greatly appreciated...
x

Are you doing M&P or CP?

I have never worked with M&P but I hear things can go bad if you put in fresh fruits & veggie. So you may be better off using powder.

For CP, no you don't need to cook them before soaping. But one thing to keep in mind is not to add too much, otherwise you will end up with moldy soapies.... I never managed to find "general guidelines" as to how much to add, so I've been just experimenting with low %. HTH.

Good luck.

GrumpyOldWoman said:
Are you doing M&P or CP?

I have never worked with M&P but I hear things can go bad if you put in fresh fruits & veggie. So you may be better off using powder.

For CP, no you don't need to cook them before soaping. But one thing to keep in mind is not to add too much, otherwise you will end up with moldy soapies.... I never managed to find "general guidelines" as to how much to add, so I've been just experimenting with low %. HTH.

Good luck.
I am doing crock pot HP method...

My avocado oil soap came out very nicely and I hear that avocado soap is even nicer if you add avocado pulp. My question is, how much avocado should you add ppo?

Am I right that adding the avocado pulp is in some respects similar to those oils that people like because of the unsaponifiables in the oil? That adding avocado pulp would be in some respects equivalent to adding oils with unsaponifiables?

The general rule of additives are 1 TB per pound of oils. Generally. With experimentation and testing - that rule is made to be broken as well. :)

Marr- what if you just ground up say a whole avocado and put it into the soap (even the seed....scrubbies????) do you think thatd be too much for a 1-2lb batch and would go rancid?? I know that alot of the beneficial oils are in the seed as well ( like if you ever eat an avocado you can actually take the seed inside and rub it all over your dry skin and it acts as a natural moisturizer!)

pink-north said:
Can you get powdered avocado?

Aw.... :)

Just formulate your soap and when you're to light trace have the right amount of really well blended avocado pulp on hand and then blend it in. It's not like avocados are hard to find! :)

What we are adding here is non-saponifiable nutrients.

I'll try it first myself and tell you how it works out. To be honest my avocado soap (almost 40 percent avocado oil) is some of the best soap I've made. I expect to make another batch soon, and this being the first time I've made a second batch with the same recipe, and I'll add avocado pulp and let you know how it works out.

That will probably be within 7-10 days maximum. My avocado soap is going fast amongst relatives and friends, and it wasn't that big a batch anyway, and I'm on my second bar just for myself! This is the best feel good soap I've made yet, good for face and good for hands too!

It's amazing that an amateur can beat Proctor and Gamble!

When using fruits or veggies in soap, I like to use baby food. It is already pureed and ready to go. I use the really small jars at 1 jar for a 64 oz of oils recipe and add it at trace. I like to make a carrot soap and a banana soap using baby food.

Back