Frozen in Texas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm asking now, before I have a possible mess on my hands.
I have a working table in my garage and shortly before hell froze over I had made a 3kg batch of lard heavy soap. Mostly fragranced with eo's. It had only been about 4 days and they were still sticky in their molds so I hadn't removed them.
My garage isn't heated, obviously, but what do I do when temps come back to normal? Which, here in San Antonio, mean back to 70's and 80's?
I'm due to move to Wisconsin on the March 8th by road trip and want to take my molds, leaving the soaps for my older son asks his family. Should I just leave them curing on cardboard to soak up any oils that might weep? It will probably be quite humid once everything starts melting outside.
Any advice?

I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say I hope you're doing ok! I'm in Southern Oklahoma, and we have had some rough days. Currently staying with my husband's parents until we get water and heat back. They lost 4 cows today to falling through the ice 😕

Where are you moving to in WI? I live outside of Milwaukee, the reason I am asking it is harder than hen's teeth to find housing in this area and Madison isn't much better. Hopefully, you have already bought a place! If you need any help please let me know. I would just take the soap out and let them dry as much as possible inside the house so the humidity doesn't turn them slimy. Love San Antonio but the humidity is horrific! Take care.

Got so sick after arriving in WI, I lost track of the soaping threads I'd been following!
Thanks for the good vibes, @Sudds, but I was moving in with my younger son who was needing some logistical support with his kids. Just needed the body, thank goodness, because I was a mess for most of the Summer!
That Frozen Valentine's prepared me for this Winter in dear old Juneau in Dodge county, WI. Small but fierce. We took a small trip out west towards the end of the year, and wouldn't you know it, a gas line got knocked out near his house and emergency personnel had to break into our house to shut off our electrical and gas mains.
So much excitement just to start 2022...

I'm still waiting for the reprieve healthwise unfortunately, but at least it's not as bad as last summer. Crossing my fingers that my breathing stays stable and doesn't get worse. I need to get some soaps made! 😁 I still have oils and fats measured out that need to become a better version of themselves, y'all know what I mean? 🙄 A photo of my best SS pot from Ikea with the miscalculated coconut oil and lard perfectly preserved with how cold the kitchen's been throughout the Winter is shown.

Attachments

• 16475814558496813067745258966303.jpg
    16475814558496813067745258966303.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back