Frothing Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for so here's my question. Can you froth soap batter to make it light and bubbly before you pour it. I don't want to whip it, I want to make it look like foam. I am making a beer soap and I want to put a layer of "foam" on the top. I don't want it to be a solid band of white, I want there to be air bubbles in it and for the top to have a sculpted look. I've seen it done with M&P, but I don't know if it can be done with CP or how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What's the PH of soap? I wonder if you could add baking soda to it to get a reaction...

Don't try it yet, wait for someone who is smart about this stuff to answer first. I'm just planting the idea.

I have successfully frothed up (is that even a word? lol: P) M&P to look like seafoam, it worked really great, and looked very realistic. Just work fast and with smaller ammounts at a time.
I used my electric mixer as I have pains in my arms that makes it difficult for me to do it fast enough with a handwhisk before it cooled too much.
You could do the soap Cp and the frothy part with M&P. Don`t see why that wouldn`t work.

eta: I don`t know if you have seen my reply but I just remembered, it will really help if you warm up the bowl before you whisk the M&P, it keeps the soap warmer and gives you more time to work with it! (my bowl was a metal one though, plastic will perhaps not hold the heat as long as metal)

Last edited:
I've never worked with M&P. Frankly, I'm not that talented or creative, so throwing oils and lye together and waiting for it to get "soaped" is my kind of talent. I may have to try M&P, though, to make the frothy tops of any beer soaps I make in a loaf mold. It will depend how the test batch turns out and how much tweaking I have to do to it.

I have to agree that this will be very hard to get that look in CP soap. Only because you need to have the transparent soap to get the full frothy effect. Otherwise, you'll just have a difficult time seeing any change in the soap. The only thing I could think of would be if you did a soap that you knew went very translucent and then added whipped soap to it at thin trace /emulsion and mixed it evenly. Then, let the soap set up some until it was thicker and force gel. I only say to let it set up to make sure that it doesn't separate. You *might* be able to get a frothy look in that case.

Otherwise, I agree that MP soap will be your best bet. I made one once and it came out pretty good. A little too orange but I found a picture of it!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1459306523.382908.jpg

I think I'd do a CP beer soap, then froth up some MP and pour on the top once the CP has solidified.
I actually did this just this morning. Other than over whipping my m&p a bit so I had smaller bubbles instead of big ones it seems to have gone very well. The proof will be in the unmold of course:smile:

I accidentally got a layered soap by rebatching a failed batch with stout. I grated it, added the beer and left it for an hour (because I was distracted) before I melted it and poured it into the mould. It just looked brown and ordiinary. When I cut it, however, it had a dark layer on the bottom and a lighter, fluffy-textured layer on top. As it cured however, the fluffy layer on top had gone a bit leathery.

Back