Frosting candles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franny

Reaction score
Why are my candles frosting nd they look even worse when I add color......???
The other thing that is hAppening is some bubbles.... I see people post there candles videos and unmolding and their candles come out perfect!!!what am I doing wrong...need help

Did the candle look fine when you unmolded it and after a while developed the frosted appearance? Maybe you are referring to wax bloom? Are you using Beeswax? If so, beeswax candles will sometimes develop a frosted appearance called "wax bloom". You should be able to just buff the bloom off with a soft cloth. I can't help with the bubbles, I'm sure someone else will be able to.

Knowing what wax and additives (color, fragrance) and method you're using would help us troubleshoot, so I'm just going to make some guesses.

Frosting happens when you use pure soy wax. Some blends for candles have additives and/or other waxes added that prevent it. It won't hurt your candle and it's safe to burn.

Regarding the bubbles, are you getting bubbles on the outside of a pillar candle? If so, you'll want to warm your mold before pouring, especially if the room is cold.

Why are my candles frosting nd they look even worse when I add color......???
Are you using soy? If so, that's why. It's the nature of soy wax to frost, and really, there's nothing you can do about it, because whatever measures you take to eliminate them, they will just come back after the first burn.
Frosting happens when you use pure soy wax.
Any soy wax will do this, unless the ratios to another wax are significantly higher than the soy.

Knowing what wax and additives (color, fragrance) and method you're using would help us troubleshoot, so I'm just going to make some guesses.

Frosting happens when you use pure soy wax. Some blends for candles have additives and/or other waxes added that prevent it. It won't hurt your candle and it's safe to burn.

Regarding the bubbles, are you getting bubbles on the outside of a pillar candle? If so, you'll want to warm your mold before pouring, especially if the room is cold.
Using soy wax. Went and did some reading after I posted this... Yes it is pure soy wax . I read that some people use additives, but that don't help with frosting. What additives are good to use? I'm going to try a warm mold tonight.

Using soy wax. Went and did some reading after I posted this... Yes it is pure soy wax . I read that some people use additives, but that don't help with frosting. What additives are good to use? I'm going to try a warm mold tonight.
You could mix it with paraffin. The candles will burn a little faster but the scent throw will be improved, as well as having smoother tops when they cool (after pouring them and after burning). You will have to experiment with ratios.

Some people leave the frosting and use it as a selling point, telling their customers that only soy wax frosts like that. Frosting doesn't hurt anything.

You could mix it with paraffin. The candles will burn a little faster but the scent throw will be improved, as well as having smoother tops when they cool (after pouring them and after burning). You will have to experiment with ratios.

Some people leave the frosting and use it as a selling point, telling their customers that only soy wax frosts like that. Frosting doesn't hurt anything.

Have yet to make my first candle but already have soy wax and reading what I can in advance. What percentage of paraffin does one add in order to see smoother tops and improved scent throw? Where does one buy paraffin?

BTW, YouTuber spoke of adding palm oil. What type of palm oil does he mean? Palm kernel or palm shortening?

Have yet to make my first candle but already have soy wax and reading what I can in advance. What percentage of paraffin does one add in order to see smoother tops and improved scent throw? Where does one buy paraffin?

The percentage of paraffin is determined by trail and error, really. It depends on the scent, wick, and color you use. Most of candle making is lots and lots of trial and error.

You can buy paraffin from the same places that sell any candle wax, usually. You can get blends that have candle making additives already added, the same way you can get soy wax. Or you can get it already blended with soy or whatever. I've made candles with Joy Wax from Nature's Garden and it is nice, but maybe a little too soft for selling in outdoor markets in warmer climates (I don't really sell so this doesn't bother me). It is a blend of soy, paraffin, and candle additives.
https://m.naturesgardencandles.com/joy-wax-1-slab
BTW, YouTuber spoke of adding palm oil. What type of palm oil does he mean? Palm kernel or palm shortening?

Most likely, something like this: Palm Pillar Wax- 10 Pounds

If he meant palm oil instead of palm wax, then I don't know. I have heard of people adding things like coconut oil to their wax, but I haven't heard of adding palm oil. Would you mind sharing a link to the video?

Are you making glass container candles?

I only use soy wax for my candles and found that heating the glass container then pouring the wax prevents frosting. Also when letting the poured wax cool, don't let it cool too quickly.

As for the bubbles, this could mean the melted wax is over agitated. Stir gently to ensure the wax is fully melted and again when you've added your dye and scent. If you do get air bubbles forming on top once set, I use a heat gun to melt them away.

Latest posts

Back