From New Zealand and jumping in the deep end

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draugr Rekkr

Reaction score
Hi all. I've started this little venture because I wanted to make myself some shaving soap and spending $60 NZD on something that will last me a long time that I might not like is a little... Uncomfortable for me. So I decided I'll make it myself. I haven't found any answers to the questions I have so here I am. I hope to learn a lot and make the shaving soap that I want and not one that I would have to settle with.

Welcome! I made a shave soap based on the original recipe in the first link Irish Lass posted and it is fantastic. I like it better than the $60/jar stuff I was buying and I can pick the scent!

Full disclosure, I have a full beard but I still shave my neck... I gave some tins of it out and everyone seemed to think it was as good as or better than the expensive stuff they were buying.

I'm going to try some variations on it. Some great stuff in those threads linked above!!

Welcome from another Kiwi :) I don't know about shaving soap but there's lots of information and people willing to help here, as you've already seen ^^

Welcome, Draugr!

Here are two of our most informative shaving soap threads. Both are several pages long, so grab a cup of tea or coffee and hunker down for some good reading!:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/my-first-shaving-soap-is-a-success.34264/

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/shaving-soap-with-naoh-and-koh.47002/

IrishLass :)

Thank you! I'm slowly reading through it and trying to decide on my first "real attempt" at shaving soap. I'm guessing I'll have to post a bigger more detailed description of what I'm going to do in a more appropriate place on this forum so feel free to critique whatever I come up with if you see it. I always appreciate being told what I could improve and how to do it.

I didn't realize that guys still shaved with this stuff or that it is so spendy/ welcome and good luck on your adventure
I think I started because most canned stuff was just not working for me. I had to go from a multy blade razor to a single one because of the way my hair grew and a skin infection that developed due to the way my hair and then shaving it repeatedly (long story) :confused:. I like it way better though. I have a shaving cream called Bluebeard's Revenge and I could never concider going back to the can. It feels much better even if I use a standard multy bladed razor with it on occasion. If you're one for shaving you should give it a go one day. It really makes you wonder why we moved towards the stuff we have today. Creams are cheaper than soaps but from what I understand soaps are the best.. Now that I think about it I don't know why they are the best.. I may need to look into this...

Welcome from another Kiwi :) I don't know about shaving soap but there's lots of information and people willing to help here, as you've already seen ^^

Was wondering if another Kiwi was rolling around this forum I'm in Auckland. If I make a soap that I would be willing to call a shaving soap would you like me to send you a sample so you can tell me if it's worth it's... Fat just pm me if you do.

Welcome! I made a shave soap based on the original recipe in the first link Irish Lass posted and it is fantastic. I like it better than the $60/jar stuff I was buying and I can pick the scent!

Full disclosure, I have a full beard but I still shave my neck... I gave some tins of it out and everyone seemed to think it was as good as or better than the expensive stuff they were buying.

I'm going to try some variations on it. Some great stuff in those threads linked above!!

I have to ask. Are you a real blad Smith and if so have you made a straight razor before? I'm working on a mini forge now so I can try and make my own straight razor.

I like the idea that if I can make something myself then I should at least see if it's worth the time. When I saw it was $60 for 60ish grams of shaving soap vs $60ish dollars for the ingredients as well as a skill I'll have for pretty much the rest of my life and the ability to make a little money off it if people like it. I couldn't see a reason not to at lest give it a go!

I look forward to seeing what you come up with and perhaps one day we can trade shaving soap (if I can make one good enough).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to ask. Are you a real blad Smith and if so have you made a straight razor before? I'm working on a mini forge now so I can try and make my own straight razor.

I am. It's been a hobby of mine for about 8 years now. I've not made a straight razor. I've thought of it a few times but always seem to have things I'm more interested in making going. That said, I know blade geometry is pretty important on them (especially since they use the spine as a guide for sharpening). I've just been using the same safety razor for 10+ years.

Don't know how far you've gotten with your knifemaking hobby, but I'll say both grinding and forging have some pretty big learning curves. It's a really fun, rewarding, frustrating hobby though! :D

I'm working on a mini forge now so I can try and make my own straight razor.

Small world! My son recently built his own mini-forge. When folks ask me what he does, I tell them either that he's into forgery or into heavy-metal. lol He welds for a living, but his first love is creating things via blacksmithing.

IrishLass :)

One of my brothers is a blacksmith. He also taught his son to blacksmith, but he is also a trained welder and that's what he makes his living doing, welding. It sounds like you guys might have some things in common as regards the tools used and how much heat your work with!

I am. It's been a hobby of mine for about 8 years now. I've not made a straight razor. I've thought of it a few times but always seem to have things I'm more interested in making going. That said, I know blade geometry is pretty important on them (especially since they use the spine as a guide for sharpening). I've just been using the same safety razor for 10+ years.

Don't know how far you've gotten with your knifemaking hobby, but I'll say both grinding and forging have some pretty big learning curves. It's a really fun, rewarding, frustrating hobby though! :D

So far I'm just trying to make a small furnace that will heat metal up enough for me to move it. No luck so far but I've made progress it's not just turning into dust now.. It's just cracking

One of my brothers is a blacksmith. He also taught his son to blacksmith, but he is also a trained welder and that's what he makes his living doing, welding. It sounds like you guys might have some things in common as regards the tools used and how much heat your work with!
Your brother is an awesome guy!

Very cool. I started off doing general blacksmith stuff and quickly transitioned to knives. Few years later that forged in fire TV show started airing and now there are a lot of people interested. Good for the suppliers of knifemaking equipment! Nothing quite like beating on a piece of hot steel with a hammer :)

Oh another one :D awesome! I'm feeling much less alone now :D I'll have to keep an eye out for your work! If you see any soap you like of mine let me know and I'll send you a sample if I have any :D

Oooohh, thanks! I might have to take you up on that offer sometime ;)

Latest posts

Back