From aloe plant to aloe soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebelshope

Reaction score
How do I take my aloe plant and use the aloe from that to make something I can put in soap?

Rebelshope said:
How do I take my aloe plant and use the aloe from that to make something I can put in soap?

If you have a big aloe plant, just take the inside (gel) and use about 1 tbs per pound of soap at trace. That's what I did with my last batch.

But if you have the small variety, you can just blend the whole leaf until it becomes a juice. Add at trace. Some people would use aloe juice instead of water, but I haven't tried that yet.

As of my last batch, I have cut them up & it is still curing. It looks really good. Smooth & even in color. No signs of it turning brown. I did use grapefruit seed extract too.

From digit's link:
How to Juice An Aloe Leaf said:
For external use, you can mix the gel and mucilage together to create your "juice". The gel can be difficult to liquify. Don't forget to store your aloe juice in the refrigerator. Use a glass or food-safe plastic container. Brown or dark green glass is best to block out excess light. Even a small amount of aloe juice can go a long way. To make it last even longer and to prevent discoloration (your juice will eventually turn brown), add a drop of vitamin E and a drop of grapefruit seed extract, or mix in some citric acid powder. Remember, however, that aloe is best when fresh.

Thanks for the info. I think I may try that. I need a bigger aloe plant.

Wouldn't a citrus and aloe soap be refreshing?

Aloe in oil

You will see a photo of if you scroll down of the Aloe Vera soap that I made
http://www.geocities.com/star_dust_soaps/soap_shop.html
I winged it ,had some beginners luck, blended up 40 grams and added that with same of Macadamia Nut oil at trace.
The soap has ended up looking almost see thru but I dont know how.
Just checking on that page for you I noticed I hadnt put the ingredients up .Whoops.
Macadamia ,Olive Oil and Copha with that Aloe.
I suspect there was some extra water that I mixed the saphron in.
It is a really lovely soap to use.
:wink: I just love those happy surprises.

I asked that question not too long ago.. The opinion I got was that it was a pain to get the volume of gel needed, plus a poor dead plant - when the aloe juice in the store is just as good.

I appreciated that advice. For soap I use the aloe from a bottle, when I need a tablespoon or two, I pick a leaf outside and scrape it clean.

Back