Freshest Soap in the World

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also love how they're selling a bar soap but hyping it as "bodywash". I kind of doubt people are gonna fall for this reinvention of the wheel.

Also people nowadays don't want to use bar soap ... so how does calling a bar soap by another name change that fact? Maybe that's why they're also pushing the "less plastic waste" angle?

I don't know-- I think it's quite clever, really, and I think you're right about the reason. There's a whole generation of people brought up on body wash and pumps by the sink. That's just about all that's been marketed on TV etc, and it's been marketed as better than soap. Unless they've been going to farmer's markets, potential customers might not even think about using a bar in the shower. I know several people in my own family who still don't think of bar soap as a good thing to use regularly.
Equating the bar with "body wash" is a good way to remind people that bar soap will get you as clean as the other stuff.

Here's one other that bar, and this one's A BEAUT! Claims to not even be soap!
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07J2TGMQZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9aPvFbFC62VYXHowever, if you look at the list of ingredients, it contains lye, or sodium hydroxide, and oils, like coconut, olive, and palm, not always in the same "beauty bar", but they refuse to call the rose by any other name. 🌹🙄 Geez.
I have looked up the ingredients each separately and they are not what I want to use. This is why I make my own body wash soaps, liquid soaps dish soap and laundry soap. Every bit counts to reduce chemicals in daily living.

I have looked up the ingredients each separately and they are not what I want to use. This is why I make my own body wash soaps, liquid soaps dish soap and laundry soap. Every bit counts to reduce chemicals in daily living.
I don't see 'Sodium Hydroxide' in the ingredients list.

Sodium hydroxide is included, just not in the language you're expecting. The ingredient listing is the more correct "what comes out of the pot" method rather than "what goes into the pot" but it's still plain ol' soap -- nothing alarming there.

The ingredients list shows "...Sodium olivate, sodium cocoate, sodium stearate ...." which are the INCI names for various soaps made with sodium hydroxide and olive oil, coconut oil, and stearic acid, respectively.

The only unusual ingredient is tetrasodium glutamate diacetate (GLDA) which is a biodegradable chelator that helps prevent DOS (rancidity).

Sodium hydroxide is included, just not in the language you're expecting. The ingredient listing is the more correct "what comes out of the pot" method rather than "what goes into the pot" but it's still plain ol' soap -- nothing alarming there.

The ingredients list shows "...Sodium olivate, sodium cocoate, sodium stearate ...." which are the INCI names for various soaps made with sodium hydroxide and olive oil, coconut oil, and stearic acid, respectively.

The only unusual ingredient is tetrasodium glutamate diacetate (GLDA) which is a biodegradable chelator that helps prevent DOS (rancidity).

Is tha the new chelation someone posted about on smf a while ago?

Same ingredients in lots of bar soaps, my own included. The only thing there I haven't used is GLDA, but I use EDTA, which is also in plenty of bar soaps.

Wendlebee, stearic acid is a component of most oils as indicated in your lye calculator, but can also be added separately to create a harder bar of soap. I've done that, too, as have several other soapers here. Sodium chloride is plain old table salt, which facilitates earlier removal from the mold. Citral and limonene are components of the essential oils and are listed due to being possible allergens. Without said EOs in the ingredients, they would not be required to be listed. Their listing on the labels is required on consumer labels in the EU and probably elsewhere.

Ethique is an international company, based in New Zealand, so they have to meet the most stringent labeling requirements in order to sell worldwide.

Yes, SaltedFig and several others discussed it in a couple of threads. I read that sarahmarah bought some to try out, however I am not sure she did test it out or not.

Edit to remove unnecessary word.

Last edited:

Yes, GLDA biodegrades faster, so is thought to be more "eco friendly" compared with tetrasodium EDTA. We've also been talking about sodium gluconate as another eco-friendly alternative to EDTA.

Sodium gluconate might be a little easier to find in the small amounts that we'd want to buy compared with GLDA. At least that was the case last time I checked, but it's been awhile.

I think Carolyn (cmzaha) is using 0.5% sodium gluconate + 0.5% tetrasodium EDTA with good results.

I am bemused that the message in this Amazon listing is mainly about reducing plastic waste due to less packaging. There's very little about the actual product they're selling.

I also love how they're selling a bar soap but hyping it as "bodywash". I kind of doubt people are gonna fall for this reinvention of the wheel.

Also people nowadays don't want to use bar soap ... so how does calling a bar soap by another name change that fact? Maybe that's why they're also pushing the "less plastic waste" angle?

But it’s a “solid” body wash

Back