Fresh orange juice soap recipe...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlecter

Reaction score
Hi!

Here is my next recipe i wanna try for making a 100% orange juice soap for body and face...
Super Fat/Discount 6 %
Lye Concentration32.0000 %
Fresh orange juice (ice cubes) 5.7 ounces
NaOH 2.7 ounces
oils 20.5 ounces

80% oo pomace 16.4 ounces
12% palm oil 2.5 ounces
8% co 1.6 ounces

2 teaspoons orange mica (pop clementine)
15 ml orange FO (works well on other batches i tried, no acceleration or discolour)

What do you think ?

I ve read on another post that we have to put the SF level high when we working with fresh juices especially citrus and orange juice, so i think i have to put it at 6%... Do i have to go back on 5%?

here is the topic.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=33476

Last edited:
You actually need to lower your superfat, because citrus juices are very acidic, and will consume some of your caustic, preventing it from creating soap. I am not sure of them amount of citric acid in various juices to calculate how much it will take to neutralize the acid, your SF will be much higher than 6% if you go this route.

"...put the SF level high when we working with fresh juices especially citrus and orange juice..."

The point Siefenblasen was making in her thread is related specifically to using ORANGE juice, not citrus in general. And her advice is not about raising the superfat -- I think you may have misread that.

She said: "...you really need not adjust your superfat when using orange juice as it changes about only 1%...."

She was responding to the practice some people use of reducing the superfat when using OJ in a recipe compared to using water. They were reducing the superfat because the citric acid in the orange juice will consume some of the lye. Her point for OJ is the adjustment isn't necessary -- just use one's normal superfat.

If using juices with a higher citric acid content than OJ, such as lemon juice, Siefenblasen's advice doesn't necessarily apply, especially if you're using the juice to replace most or all of the water. And if you do make an adjustment, you would need to reduce the superfat, not raise it.

My normal advice is to calculate the amount of lye that will be "eaten up" by the added acid and add that extra lye to the recipe. This is the same thing as reducing the superfat -- just another way of looking at the problem.

Latest posts

Back