Fresh Lemon Juice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone made any scrubs with fresh lemon juice? Is there a way to preserve it that you know of? I just got a bunch of beautiful lemons that I juice with my Cuisinart juicer and I have lots and lots of Juice. Can't eat because I juiced the whole fruit, and the juice is kinda like eating a rind. I use the juice in one of my soaps, but I have so much...thinking a scrub might be good. Any body use fresh lemon juice in any product?

I googled and came up with a lot of hits for sugar scrub with fresh lemon juice. As far as preserving it, I would keep it in the refrigerator and only make a small batch at a time. You should be able to freeze the juice and use it as you need it.

Here is a tutorial on using fresh lemon peel in M&P soap.

You could also freeze it to use later or in ice cube trays for ice in drinks.

I know you've already juiced them, but a suggestion for the future: I zest all my citrus before I juice them. Any zest not used for a recipe gets mixed in with some kosher salt and I have citrus salt. Great for rimming glasses for cocktails/mocktails, on salads, fish dishes, or eggs, or just a great general finishing salt.

I second the advice to freeze the juice in ice cube trays. I do this a couple-three times a year when lemons and limes are in season.

I don't know if I'd want a scrub with lemon juice in it. If the abrasive scrubby stuff causes any irritation to the skin, I'd think the lemon juice would really sting! But I've never tried it to know that for sure.

I make a lemon simple syrup with the rinds after juicing the fruit -- Fresh Lemon Syrup Recipe

The oils in the leaves and rinds of some citrus can cause photosensitivity. Lime is definitely one. I'm not sure about lemon, but it very well could be.

Isn't lemon also in the category of causing photosensitivity when used topically too much?
It actually could be. It was just a thought. I don't usually get such great juicy lemons as I did this time. I actually freeze the juice in bags 3 oz at a time, so I have lots of little baggies of lemon juice. And since I extracted the juice from the rind as well, the juice isn't tasty. I had not thought of the effects that lemon juice might have on the face, as when I was a young woman (many many years ago) we used lemons on our face at night but for the life of me, I can't remember why!! Thank you for your thoughts.

Back