Fresh Goats Milk Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helen

Reaction score
Thought I would share for comparison.
Same total recipe of - Goat milk soap.
Fresh goats milk, triple infused calundula olive oil, sustainable palm, coconut and sweet almond oils, shea and cocoa butter and a touch of colloidal oatmeal and vitamin E.
Lighter one has been popped into silicone cup cake moulds and straight into the freezer for a few hours.
The darker one, silicone lined wooden loaf mould popped underneath a cardboard box overnight.
I added 4 teaspoons of kitchen grade vanilla essence to 1kg of weight to the mix for loaf mould.
No other fragrances or colourants used.
20201025_121828.jpg

Very pretty! The vanilla really darkened the one in the loaf mold. I always love the vanilla "rind" around the edges and am sad when the whole thing eventually turns the same color.

I didn't think that vanilla essence would survive saponification. Have you had good luck with getting the scent to remain after cure? It's one of my favorite scents so I'd love to hear if that works for you.

This was just normal vanilla essence that I use in baking. Soap is 12 weeks old but cut after 24 hours, has stayed the same since ?

Sorry, I should have stated the vanilla essence was just used for colouring only, not for the scent :)

This was just normal vanilla essence that I use in baking. Soap is 12 weeks old but cut after 24 hours, has stayed the same since ?
So your soap has stayed the same with the dark rind after 12 weeks? That‘s very cool as I’ve had the same experience as @AliOop where the rind was there after the cut but within hours the whole soap was the darker color. I would love to have had the rind stay like that with a lighter middle. I’m curious how you got that result!

Yes, that is very cool that the rind stayed - I've never seen that!

I also would have worried that the alcohol in the vanilla essence would cause the soap to seize. Or was yours alcohol-free?

Latest posts

Back