Fresh Finds Coconut oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethkaylyn

Reaction score
B2390D75-E15A-43DC-A2A6-8A3406B39389.jpeg

I found this at Big Lots at a great price. Does anyone know if it’s ok to use for CP soap? I can’t seem to find on the label if it’s 76*

The label says "100% Pure Refined Coconut Oil." If that is true, it should be OK. Try it in a very small batch of 100% coconut oil soap. If that turns out OK, then it should be good to use with other oils in soap.

The label says "100% Pure Refined Coconut Oil." If that is true, it should be OK. Try it in a very small batch of 100% coconut oil soap. If that turns out OK, then it should be good to use with other oils in soap.

Thanks ISG! Will do

Others here have used Save-a-Lot CO, so maybe one of them will respond. But I suspect it is 76° unless otherwise specified. To test that theory, all you have to do is heat it up to the point that is just starts melting and you should know. In fact, if you live in an area with outdoor temps running below 80°, just leave it outside for an hour or so and see if it starts melting.

Others here have used Save-a-Lot CO, so maybe one of them will respond. But I suspect it is 76° unless otherwise specified. To test that theory, all you have to do is heat it up to the point that is just starts melting and you should know. In fact, if you live in an area with outdoor temps running below 80°, just leave it outside for an hour or so and see if it starts melting.

Thanks earlene
I live where the temps are 90 and above. Lol.
South Louisiana

How much did you pay for that size? Our Big Lots stopped carrying coconut oil for several months and then closed down. There's another, but it's a hour's drive from here - wondering if it's worth it.

It's also interesting to note that that label is very similar to Butcher Boy's label - wondering if it's coincidence or was company sold?

Big Lots carries Fresh Finds brand now. $12 for 102 Fl oz. and I agree it looks suspiciously like Butcher Boy.

Yup, I think they are the same. Some carry it some don't.
$12 for the big one is the best deal.

Better deal is when they have a coupon for like so much off 10 off $50 and 20 off $100 and 40 (?) off $200
the label does say Columus Veg oils, Des Plaines IL

Thanks everyone. I’ll return to Big Lots next weekend to purchase some. I think this bottle was around $12 if I remember right. I’ll let y’all know once I know for sure. Also, I do agree that it does look like Butcher Boy. I bought that brand a couple years ago from BL.

I finally made it back to Big Lots and yes I think “Fresh Finds” is the same as Butcher Boy coconut oil. In fact the store had both brands available but I purchased the FF since the expiration date was later than BB. $12 for 1020z.
Great buy and big savings !

Sethkaylyn, I've been using this brand for about a year now with great results, and a great price!

That's exactly what I've been using for a couple of years too Marie. Can't beat the price and it soaps the same as every other brand I've tried (except the one that caused DOS in every batch). I can't always find the 102 oz size but even the smaller ones are a better price than elsewhere. 2 or 3 times a year Big Lots has a storewide 20% off sale so that's when I stock up. It brings the $12 price tag down to $9.60 so I buy all I can find, lol. Family members that live in other cities hunt for it for me too. The other nice thing for me is I live in a county that charges no sales tax on food items so more pennies saved!

Yup, I think they are the same. Some carry it some don't.
$12 for the big one is the best deal.

Better deal is when they have a coupon for like so much off 10 off $50 and 20 off $100 and 40 (?) off $200
the label does say Columus Veg oils, Des Plaines IL
COLUMBUS OILS IS THE SAME AS SOAPERS CHOICE

COLUMBUS OILS IS THE SAME AS SOAPERS CHOICE
Yes, I am aware, that is why I put that in my post. Not sure why you are 'yelling' :)
It used to JUST be called Columbus Foods eons ago. But because so many of us soapers use them I think they changed the name.

Thank you for the info! I have been getting the Louana double pack at Walmart for $9.98 (60oz total).
I will brave going to Big Lots tomorrow at Lunch :D

Back