Fresh Aloe

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a ton of aloe plants. Today I accidentally broke one of the leaves and decided to save the aloe gel from it. It wasn't terribly hard to extract with a spoon, but it stayed in jelly-like masses that I couldn't break down.

What do you do with it in soap? Add it they way it is? Stick it in a blender?

Oh my gosh I have a lot of it LOL. None of them are terribly big plants as I keep them in containers. I presume that if I stuck them in the ground they might get huge. I actually just deconstructed one and planted all of them in their own starter pots. I mentioned to someone at work that I was probably gonna stick them at the end of my driveway "free to good home" LOL. But he suggested that I bring them in work instead, so I might do that, depending on if I feel like driving an hour to work with a bunch of aloe in tow.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I have pureed aloe leaves and added them to my soap. Be sure to discount the amount from the liquid used to dissolve the lye.

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Lucky you! I have to buy aloe leaves at the local winco. They aren’t expensive, but free would be so much nicer. 😂

I also get the stringy stuff that doesn’t break down in the food processor. I’ve heard that some folks leave the cut leaves upright in a glass overnight to drain out some undesired substance, but I don’t think fixes the stringiness. Hopefully someone else has a solution for that.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I put the flesh in a blender with a little water and blitz until most of the chunkies are gone. You can strain it through a seive to remove what is left.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its like the soap gods heard me (like Alexa). And a yt vid came out from Ellys everyday soap (??). Anyway, she demonstrates cutting and puree aloe with a sb, then freezing it in ice cube trays and using it instead of water.

Right now i am dealing with a sewer problem (non emergent, nothing gross going on here yet)....will try the aloe at a later date