French soap (MdC) References at the end.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okay so the recipe is super simple. This will be a small batch of about 100g of oil.

View attachment 39206
_20190523_193757.jpg

I don't have a crock pot or a double boiler so I improvised. I cranked up the heat and way I go.

View attachment 39207

It worked! Did I mention I've never done a HP soap.

View attachment 39208

Added the KOH and that happened fast.. I was going to use auto mixer but I didn't really have enough in there to do it properly so I went and hand whisked it. Came together really fast.!

View attachment 39209

I don't know why but it started to crumble..

View attachment 39210

The double boiler didn't work for this case so I through it straight in the pot (possible mistake?).

View attachment 39211

Heat goes back up and I'm keeping an eye on it for anything unusual (not that I would know what that would be so I'm just trying to make sure it doesn't burn). Can soap burn?

View attachment 39212

Repoured and looks a little better this time.

View attachment 39215

Few hours later and it works! Not as much slip as I expected but I just added a little bentonite clay since I use throw away blades for my straight razor.

View attachment 39214

One to two hours after whiping it up with a fake bristle brush. 12 hours and a shower later. Still good.

Conclusion:
There's some bubbles in the bars of soap now that it's set up but I don't really know if that's normal or how to remove them. Either way I think it was a success and I'm happy with how it turned out. I look forward to making it a bit better or at lest find a way to get the soap to come out less like cooked rice first time.

Special thanks goes to @IrishLass for linking the thread to me. :D

Thank you too @songwind for starting the thread as well as @DeeAnna for the inspiration for the double boiler.

References:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/my-first-shaving-soap-is-a-success.34264/

P.s. If anyone has any ideas on what I did wrong and how I can fix it then please let me know.
Nicely done !

KoH soap is soft. Mine is about the consistency of room temp cream cheese. Even after two years, its still soft.

Its one reason I don't try to make pucks or use molds. I pour directly into small bowls.

KoH soap is soft. Mine is about the consistency of room temp cream cheese. Even after two years, its still soft.

Its one reason I don't try to make pucks or use molds. I pour directly into small bowls.

So it's normal for it to go from a hard puck to soft cream cheese?

I've never had it happen but my recipe is different. I know high stearic cream soaps soften with time and so does some LS paste so I'd say its not uncommon.

Back