Freezing to avoid gel phase

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alison Bailey

Reaction score
I have read that freezing cold process soap can help to avoid the gel phase and that unsightly ring inside the bar, but I am wondering how long should one freeze the soap for. A few hours? Overnight? 24 hours?

I always got partial gel, no matter what I did, until I started freezing for one hour.

Would freezing also shorten the time of waiting before you can unmould the bar?

Freezing slows the saponification reaction, so don't be in a hurry to unmold if your goal is to pour the batter in the mold and put the mold in the freezer for a long time. Like Relle says, soap needs time and patience, and fully frozen soap needs extra amounts of both.

It's a different situation if you chill a fully saponified soap for a few hours so it's easier to unmold (as Dean describes), but I don't think that's what you have in mind.

I freeze my milk soaps to prevent gel, which turns the soap a tan color. It does not help to prevent soda ash. Many people force the gel stage, which does help to prevent soda ash.

Back