Freezing oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I keep them in the fridge if they have shorter shelf life. Plus I don't want to have to wait for them to thaw and would wonder if it would cause any change in the oil itself.

I was just wondering, because I know that people freeze olive oil (for cooking) and it is said that it doesn't change it the structure of the oil.

I weight mine out and freeze them in portions. If I'm really industrious I weigh all of my oils and melt them down and mix them up then pour them in one of my molds and freeze it and then once frozen I wrap them up and put them back in the freezer so I have a ready made batch that I just need to thaw/melt and add the lye solution. But I don't always get that industrious.

I don't usually have much for bulk oils, but I have frozen lard with no ill effects. I was gifted a large amount of argan and meadowfoam oils, so I did freeze those as well. Worked just fine. I have no way of knowing if the properties of the oils changed at all, but it wasn't apparent to me if they did.

Back