Freezer paper...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebiz

Reaction score
As some of you know, I was having a devil of a time finding a local source for freezer paper to line a mold. I went to Walmart and saw with my own two eyes that they didn't carry it. While there, I checked the crafts department to try to find the foam sheets that Paul told me about. They were out of all of them except the 12" ones (too small). My Walmart stinks!! :x

Since my local grocery stores don't carry freezer paper, I have no meat packing houses close to me, and have had no luck finding freezer paper anywhere else in town, I called a store that is about 12 miles from me. They carry it... Reynolds brand only. But, it's almost $4 for a 75 square foot box! Yikes!!! :shock:

After quite a bit of fussing, fuming, and deliberation, I got in the car and headed for the store. On the way, I passed a small store that is owned by a local Amish family. Remembering that they have lots of things that are difficult to find in the grocery stores, I turned around and went back.

When I went in, there was a very nice young lady behind the counter. I inquired about the freezer paper. She said, "Of course we carry freezer paper." She showed me where it was. It was also the 75 square feet box of Reynolds brand. I almost fell out when I saw how much it was. $1.49 per box!! :eek: :eek: I grabbed 8 boxes of it... 600 square feet of it!!! :D I figure I now have enough so that my survivors can put some in my post funeral yard sale!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, if anyone else is having trouble finding freezer paper or is paying an outrageous price for it, check with a local Amish store (if you have one). You might just save yourself some $$$$.

Happy Soaping,
Robert

thats a wonderful story Robert, I for one am very glad you found this elusive freezer paper. I agree with you , you wouldnt think it would be so hard to locate something that used to be a staple in Mom's kitchen cabinets all over the US. Next time you visit the Amish store check out the Amish Country tenderdrop Coconut oil ( if they have it) its a nice yellow color great for yellow soap.

Thanks for the tip Neil. During my next visit, I'll have to check that out!

Robert

You know, I thought I was going crazy trying to find freezer paper and couldn't- checked grocery stores, Wal-Mart, you name it. I thought it was just me!! Glad to know I'm not going nuts! Unfortunately we have no amish stores around here. Maybe next time I'm up north visiting my aunt I'll try there- she's got a lot of amish up there!

Thanks for the tip!

Craft Foam

The foam you mentioned...it is to be used as a disposable liner, right? How did Paul suggest you use it?

Marie, the foam sheets that Paul was referring to can be used over and over again. That's what he said about them. Here is what he posted:

Soapmaker Man said:
Robert go to Wal-Mart and buy the foam sheets in the craft area and cut to fit your mold. You can reuse it over and over by washing by hand. The foam liners simply peel off the log or slab of soap. Easy as can be. This is basically what my TOG Molds have used for over 2 years now. I use a little denser material, and am changing over to a permanent HDPE liner system. Give that a try.

Paul :wink:

Good luck,
Robert

beebiz said:
Marie, the foam sheets that Paul was referring to can be used over and over again. That's what he said about them. Here is what he posted:

Soapmaker Man said:
Robert go to Wal-Mart and buy the foam sheets in the craft area and cut to fit your mold. You can reuse it over and over by washing by hand. The foam liners simply peel off the log or slab of soap. Easy as can be. This is basically what my TOG Molds have used for over 2 years now. I use a little denser material, and am changing over to a permanent HDPE liner system. Give that a try.

Good luck,
Robert

Thanks! :D

busymammaof3 said:
beebiz said:

Soapmaker Man said:

Good luck,
Robert

Will this work for M&P bases? I'm thinking about making soap as well. I've gotten alot of info about M&P soap and looks easy. Looks fun too. I'm looking to possibly make my own molds. From what I've been reading, can I make a wooden "box" without the lid and line it with either the foam Paul mentioned or HDPE liner? Do you have to stain the wood? Or will the liner protect it? What kind of stain, regular waterproof wood stain? I'm new at this as well so sorry for the million questions.

I also thought about using PVC. Using a long (2-3 ft) PVC and cutting the PVC length-wise down the middle and possibly using the piece I cut off as dividers instead of cutting the soap. Does this sound like it would work?

Thanks!

Thanks! :D

I got mine at Super Walmart in the section where the aluminum foil is. It was five dollars and something for 150 sq'.

CiCi said:
I got mine at Super Walmart in the section where the aluminum foil is. It was five dollars and something for 150 sq'.

same here.

I'm trying very very very hard to avoid walmart and overgrown chain stores as much as possible... A lot of have a tendancy to overlook your local places. farmer's co-ops are AWESOME. I've been finding pretty good deals on all kinds of stuff.

I don't care for freezer paper. If there were something better I'd buy it. The stuff is curly and it wrinkles at the slightest provocation.

Maybe there is a better brand around somewhere than Reynolds?

Latest posts

Back