Freezer Paper - is there a sub?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godiva

Reaction score
I've tried funky foam, and it bled onto my soap. I can't afford premade silicone liners. I don't really like pieces - like mylar. I tried using mylar by cutting and folding like freezer paper, but that didn't work.

Basically, I'm wishing there was something similiar to freezer paper that you can fold and use over and over again, like forever, or **** well near. I use my freezer paper more than once, but the most I can get out of one liner is 3 times.

Is there any such animal?

yes, contact paper, shelf liner, it is awesome, i use it, wash it, use again! love it. Cut two pieces, one going the long way, then one to put on top going the other way, does that make sense?

I use silicone baking mats now. They are Wilton brand and I bought mine at Canadian Tire. I'm sure you could find them at Walmart even, or other kitchen-type stores. Works like a charm! The bottoms of my soaps are rounded because the mat doesn't stay tight in the corners at the bottom of my mold, but I actually like how it looks!

honor435 said:
yes, contact paper, shelf liner, it is awesome, i use it, wash it, use again! love it. Cut two pieces, one going the long way, then one to put on top going the other way, does that make sense?

does it stick to your mold? Do you have to replace it every so often?

AshleyR said:
I use silicone baking mats now. They are Wilton brand and I bought mine at Canadian Tire. I'm sure you could find them at Walmart even, or other kitchen-type stores. Works like a charm! The bottoms of my soaps are rounded because the mat doesn't stay tight in the corners at the bottom of my mold, but I actually like how it looks!

I'll have to check these out, too.

I use the shelf liner , it is reusable many many times . You leave the backing on , put the good side up in the mold and make soap . Wipe it off , and pop it back in the mold for next time.You can get it at dollar stores, it is easy to cut , there is usually a grid on the back. The dollar stores have the silicone mats too , from time to time.

Kitn

honor435 said:
Cut two pieces, one going the long way, then one to put on top going the other way

Honor, do you get seepage at the corners or do they kind of self-seal? Reusable sounds fantastic. My partner looks at me like I'm crazy when I'm folding freezer paper, rolls his eyes, and slaps some plastic wrap into his mold...

I get a tiny bit of leakage once in a while , . The grids on the paper make it very easy to cut to fit perfectly . I recently tried sticking the short end of the shelf paper to the mold and leave the long one loose . I make it a little longer than needed , so I can pull the log out .Instead of taking the mold apart . It is working great .

Kitn

That's a fantastic idea! kitn, do you fold the paper at all to get it to fit, or are the pieces just cut? I am about brain dead right now.... working midnight shift, so I am having a hard time picturing how you get it to fit into the molds without allowing leakage. I will be trying this idea! Smart.

no leekage, ever, if you have two pieces, one going the long way, one the other way.

Kitn said:
I use the shelf liner , it is reusable many many times . You leave the backing on , put the good side up in the mold and make soap . Wipe it off , and pop it back in the mold for next time.You can get it at dollar stores, it is easy to cut , there is usually a grid on the back. The dollar stores have the silicone mats too , from time to time.

Kitn

have you used it in CPOP, too? I like to do that sometimes.

Kitn said:

Kitn

Can u tell I'll be raiding the dollar stores today???

i went to 3 dollar stores - none had shelf liner/contact paper or silicone baking mats. Went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and looked at their baking mats - $30 and up! Walmart did not have any baking pats in the store. I checked out the contact paper and priced that. Not too bad, about the same as freezer paper. I'm almost out of the freezer paper, so I'll pick some up probably next shopping trip.

Latest posts

Back