Freeze dried vegetables for colouring

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I wouldn't be buying these if they are from Aliexpress (that comes up on your screenshot), you have no idea if they are suitable for soap or even what's in them. I'd use colourings from reputable soap suppliers.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect most of those to hold their colour in soap, sadly. Once they get in contact with lye they would probably go brown, lose their colour entirely, or who knows what else...
Using plants to colour soap requires very specific plants prepared in the right way - if you do some searching on this forum you should find some good info. For example, here's a challenge soap I made using infused dock root for a pink colour: Entry Thread for the June 2021 SMF Challenge - Garden Inspired

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
A while back I took part in the natural colour challenge (I don't usually worry about the colourants being natural) and found the same - fading and/or changing colours. A few things do stick better than others, of course. But specifically something from AliExpress would also be a worry generally

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
If you are really interested in natural soap coloring here is a link to what I have heard is a great resource for this. I don't have the patience for it and love my micas but here it is...

TheGecko

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if anyone has used these freeze dried vegetable colourings to colour their soaps? Looks good and natural.
If these were truly made from fruits and vegetables...which I seriously doubt since I am unaware of any 'black' (or brown) fruits or vegetables, from the picture and description, they are being advertised for baking. The thing about using powdered fruits, vegetables and other plant matter for colorants is that 'what you see is NOT what you get...case in point, Spinach Powder. Here is what Spinach Powder looks like in both Cold/Hot Process and Clear and White Melt & Pour. None of the results look like color in the powder...in CP/HP, it looks like something you'd find in a diaper, while the Clear M&P is very dark and the White M&P is very light.

maryloucb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are lots of tried and true choices for natural
Natural-soap-colourants-list.jpg
colorants. Lots of info out there if you search. I've successfully used turmeric and orange peel powder for orange, indigo for blue, green sea clay, spirulina and cucumber for green, rhassoul red clay, cocoa powder, activated charcoal. The colors definitely fade and are muted. You will not get mica like colors with most natural colorants.

kagey

Reaction score
I haven't used any freeze-dried additives - but I have been experimenting with clays and more natural colorants. I found these interesting articles and refer to them when I want to try a new color:

Jennfromoz

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I won't be buying them. I actually put pureed carrot in my 2nd batch to colour it and it faded completely.