Free Windows 10

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only time you have to sign in is when you turn the computer on so its not too bad. Since I use a lap top, I mostly have it hibernate and no pass is required to wake it back up.

There is a feature I haven't used yet but am excited too. You can write/doodle directly on a web page and then share it. No more saving to your computer, opening in photoshop then uploading to tinypic.

It can only be done on the new windows edge browser but its a lot better then IE. I played around with it some, there is a pencil tip and highlighter tool. If you have a touchscreen, you can use a stylus, otherwise you use the mouse.

I can't quite figure out how to share without saving first, I'm a bit behind on technology.
xeiv78.jpg

That is cool! I need to figure out how to do this. I completely dismissed "IE". I thought oh, they gave it a new name but it is still the old IE. Apparently not. They are giving Chrome and Firefox a run for the money.

I want my picture to paste in the Window but the forum won't let me. I do like Edge. Thanks for showing that to me, it is very cool. I had fun playing with the new stuff.
Edge_zpsqpuq5whm.jpg

Thats weird Susie, I can turn my touchpad completely off. Besides a different UI, I haven't noticed anything different with 10. Nothing id faster, websites are the same. Boot time is about the same.
I do absolutely hate that since I signed into my microsoft account, I have to enter that password to restart my computer. I don't use passwords like that but I don't know where to turn it off.

If you could tell me how to get mine all the way off, I would truly appreciate it! (Been switched to other screens 3 times typing this on the "long" delay option.)

I just got a new laptop a week ago and HATED 8.1. I like to pick my battles but this was not one! Saw this thread and forced a download of 10. I'm so much happier now -- thanks!

Obsidian, I think the writing is an overlay on my screen, and the forum doesn't do the pics, just links?? I'm guessing, did you did what I did and used the snip tool, placed on clipboard and saved it. I didn't try emailing the web page to see if that worked but I'm guessing it doesn't?

CaraBou, I'm so glad it worked for you. I hated 8 from the beginning as well. I'm one that likes to download the new stuff, but Windows 8 was such a mistake. Went back to 7 pretty quickly. Odd that they didn't give you some silly "free update to 10" when you bought your new computer.

I didn't mind 8.1 once I got used to it. Windows 10 is okay but is giving one of my "necessary" programs fits and I have to have to track our members and vendors. So I'm rather ambivalent about it.

Thank you not ally, he is a sweetie - very blond. Our 7 year old chose him over two adorable baby girls - and I think it was because she saw he was stuck in a glass aquarium on a dark shelf. Whoever had to surrender him did a great job socializing him with humans so he's perfect for us first time guinea pig owners.

We're working with the rescue down in San Diego to find him a friend because they are incredibly social creatures. However, this loving purry (yes, they purr! And he likes to be petted in the manner you would a cat!)
is very dominant with his own kind, so he's not making it easy.

He eats more veggies than I eat, gets taken outside for fresh grass and dandelions, plus floor time to run around in the house for exercise and exploring. He's got me well trained; when he's lonely, he squeaks for attention; sometimes all he wants is for someone to sit with him while he eats his hay. *sigh*.....he needs a guinea pig friend.
Yes they do purr. I had guinea pigs growing up and once socialized they make great pets. Mine would come and sit on my lap like a cat. I had a pair of girls, Daddy refused to add a boy into the mix :-D

I am still in the dark ages, I still have run Vista on mine... that is ancient in computer age. Funny part is, since 1985 building computers was my hobby and I built a lot of them and mine always had the newest and greatest. Biggest problem I have is Oki has not come out with a driver for my digital laser for 8 so I have not hopes for 10. But I did download it in-case I decide to upgrade this ancient computer. A wonderful low voltage took out the motherboard in my best computer and it now costs a lot more to build one, actually always did, than to buy one. I am thinking about upgrading my hubby's win 7 and see how I like it

I keep running into articles about Mozilla being upset about microsoft setting the default browser to Edge instead of some sort of easy choice for the user to default to another browser. The claim is that it is a little anti-intuitive to switch your default to anything other than Edge. Personally I'm not seeing a big deal in it as most devices come with a default browser and I almost always using something else.
For those who have data collection concerns though I read that 10 has the most user data collection of any OS to date.

I have a strict policy to be a late adopter and skip every other windows iteration. So I'll be upgrading in a few months after the first couple of service packs come out.

I need to make sure I know how to banish any tile looking things. I twitch if my desktop isn't nicely devoid of visual noise. DH got a windows phone a while back and it drives me batty... Too much stuff everywhere!

Regarding PW sign in, apparently 10 has "Windows Hello"; sign in with face, finger or eye. I haven't used it because I just heard about it. I'll have to check it out. I usually disable my camera when at home, but it may work for others.

Finally got my touchpad turned off. If you have an Asus laptop, you need to press fn + F9 to turn it off.

There is supposed to be some sort of personal assistant in Win 10, but I have not found it...off to explore.

that would be cortana. It's like Siri on an iphone. I have not used it yet, but I will sometimes use the android equivalent on my phone. That one is not named, but I call her Karen.

Back