Free Windows 10

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbeck3579

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else downloaded the free Windows 10 today? IMO it looks and acts like Windows 7. I guess that's why Windows 10 is free. I downgraded to Windows 7 after my short relationship with 8 -- hated 8. Does anyone else think Windows 10 is Windows 7 with a few bells and whistles?

I upgraded from windows 7 and besides a few rearranged items and bigger icons, its not really that different. Maybe if I had a touchscreen so I could use more of the options it would be different.

LOL. Most people who use their computers often have downgraded to 7. 8 didn't make sense -- more key strokes to accomplish the same operation. I have a touch screen but haven't "upgraded" to 10 on that one. It is downloading now. I like to make sure the computers are stable before I make changes. It appears 10 is very stable which is a pleasant change.

We still have 7 on our PC. We never upgraded, and after observing my hubby's horrible experiences with 8, I'm not sorry. My hubby's workplace upgraded his work laptop to 8 when it came out and he was not happy with it (that's why we stayed with 7 at home). He writes and tests computer software for a living, and....well....let's just say his language became very colorful after that! lol It took him about 2 to 4 times longer to get even the simplest of tasks done until he figured out some tricks. If this new 10 is more like 7, then that's definitely a step in the right direction for sure. I'll have to ask him if they've upgraded his work laptop to 10.

Here's a really funny youtube video that Hubby showed me that perfectly expresses a lot of his negative feelings towards 8:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo[/ame]

IrishLass :)

My last couple of laptops came w/8, and I ended up always getting my computer maven buddy to put 7 on it as well (even after fiddling around w/Classic Shell, etc.) Obsidian, the touchscreen does not make things better. Hated Windows 8, 10 can only be an improvement.

I wait and see when is not buggy anymore then downloaded but it is not going to be free, probably the service packs will have to be paid. Microsoft gives nothing for free :p))

My first windows experience was win 8 and I have found anything to like about. Booting up took 4 minutes longer and this machine is 7 years newer than the Mac.

I'll wait a bit to see how 10 goes, then upgrade. I hope it fixes the problems caused by the latest update as I can't use my photo program at all, and have huge troubles with Google, and Firefox. So sad. I've had the house to myself for a week and have made 6 batches of soap I can't post pics of! ( Or of our new guinea pig we rescued from the back room of a pet store....stuck on a shelf for a month all alone! )

Oh I hope it is like 7!! I HATE windows 8. I was stuck with it, though, as i wasn't about to pay $150 to downgrade my OS... I got the notification to download it, but haven't done it yet. I'll probably do it tomorrow.

Thank you not ally, he is a sweetie - very blond. Our 7 year old chose him over two adorable baby girls - and I think it was because she saw he was stuck in a glass aquarium on a dark shelf. Whoever had to surrender him did a great job socializing him with humans so he's perfect for us first time guinea pig owners.

We're working with the rescue down in San Diego to find him a friend because they are incredibly social creatures. However, this loving purry (yes, they purr! And he likes to be petted in the manner you would a cat!)
is very dominant with his own kind, so he's not making it easy.

He eats more veggies than I eat, gets taken outside for fresh grass and dandelions, plus floor time to run around in the house for exercise and exploring. He's got me well trained; when he's lonely, he squeaks for attention; sometimes all he wants is for someone to sit with him while he eats his hay. *sigh*.....he needs a guinea pig friend.

So I run a Macbook...mostly because I HATE PC's...however I run Windows 10 on it. I have some project management tools I have to have for my master's courses that cannot be run on a mac so I have a program called Parallels which allows me to effectively run a PC interface on my mac so that I can run those programs. When I bought Parallels though I also had to buy a Windows OS and since I refuse to give Microsoft a dime of my money I was given the option to run Windows 10 when it was in beta. When beta ended they gave testers a free Windows 10 download. While I wouldn't ever buy it, I can say that it's not the worst PC OS I've ever run. Windows 8 was a nightmare like others have said. I run Windows 7 in my job, and my university runs all windows 10 now. I've gotten used to it and Microsoft has started to take the hint on interface.

There's still a lot of things I think are freaking weird about it - like I don't get all the "tiles" that appear on another screen. I think the intention was to be set up sort of like apps on your phone and I avoid using that access point at all costs. Otherwise I don't see anything wrong with it but I'd say it's probably only a minor improvement over 7 (but a HUGE one over 8 ). HTH

I talked to my hubby last night about 10 and he said pretty much what lenarenee said...even if he has to wait a whole year and miss out on getting if free, he's going to wait to see what annoying bugs pop up and see how things play out.

IrishLass :)

I went ahead and downloaded it (I know, I know...), because I despised 8 just that much. The only issue I have so far is that I can't turn my touchpad all the way off anymore. I use a mouse, and I hate that stupid touchpad moving my cursor all over the screen.

Thats weird Susie, I can turn my touchpad completely off. Besides a different UI, I haven't noticed anything different with 10. Nothing id faster, websites are the same. Boot time is about the same.
I do absolutely hate that since I signed into my microsoft account, I have to enter that password to restart my computer. I don't use passwords like that but I don't know where to turn it off.

I like 10 and haven't found any problems. Because Windows has the option to back-up or return your OS to a previous date, I wasn't too worried about it being buggy. Fortunately it's stable, just Windows 7 beefed up. Much like my iPhone you can use voice recognition -- a Siri-like interface -- and even that you are asked if you want to activate it the first time you use "start". The only thing I would say to anyone who is concerned about security and privacy -- change the default settings in your privacy and security. I do not allow all my apps free access to everything so I turned it off -- just like I did with my iPhone. Other than that I'm pretty pleased. I can't believe I'm saying that because I was ready to jump ship to apple until I found out 10 would be like 7.

Thats weird Susie, I can turn my touchpad completely off. Besides a different UI, I haven't noticed anything different with 10. Nothing id faster, websites are the same. Boot time is about the same.
I do absolutely hate that since I signed into my microsoft account, I have to enter that password to restart my computer. I don't use passwords like that but I don't know where to turn it off.

Go to "settings" and "sign in" options. You can choose how and when you sign in -- I like using a pin because it is quick but you can choose "never" require a sign in.

there are some privacy issues with windows 10, it is better to wait. Beside it is free, it means there is a catch

Hopefully they will square it away for you -- fickle. My husband doesn't like using a pw either. I like using one -- a part of being married and sharing a network
icon_wink.gif
. At least we don't have to understand and use DOS, IRQ's, ports, etc. to make all the programs & hardware play well together. We've come a long way in a short time -- plug and pray is light years ahead of early DOS/Windows. I liked early Apple (my first was a IIC) but I couldn't use all the cool software people were developing so I switched. Love my iPhone though.

Latest posts

Back