Free Kindle Books

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After reading a thread on here from years ago in search of Soap Making books, someone mentioned free books on Amazon.

Did a search on Amazon for Free Soap Making books, and found 3 for Kindle and more if you have Kindle Unlimited.

These are all beginner books but thought other newbies like me might be interested.

Beware, not all books are good. I've read several that were free (or super cheap) on Kindle and they were filled with craptastic advice, outdated information, and even in some cases, fearmongering against ALL chemicals. It's worth the cost to buy a reputable book.

I was actually researching what might be a good book to purchase when I came across the thread that mentioned the free books. Any advice on what would be a good book? Most of the threads I found on this site are 3+ years old.

The free kindle books, as a majority, plagaized trash and/or not worth the space in you library. There are very few books that I would recommend for kindle and of those, at least Anne Watson is worth it. There is another soap maker but I have to find my kindle.

Doesn't even have to be kindle. I was looking for anything worth buying and was trying to find recommendations on this site when I found those. Haven't really looked at them, but I suspect you're probably right about them being trash ... hence the "free" :)

I really like the books by Anne L Watson. Her line of "Smart" books -- Smart Soapmaking, etc. -- are priced at $1 to $3 per e-book depending on whether she's running a promo or not. The books are also available in softcover. Anne gives sound, sensible advice about soap making that will get a person started right.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078NFYFH6
http://www.annelwatson.com/soapmaking/

There will always be something to quibble about in every book, no matter how capable and experienced the author is. But Anne does a good job overall.

I agree with amd -- there are a lot of dicey soap making books full of misleading or plain wrong advice.

Thanks DeeAnna, will look for those right now.

I suspect there are as many bad soapmaking books as there are soapmaking websites spouting very bad information. I'm just fortunate enough to have found a great forum with a lot of smart people sharing their knowledge. :)

There's been several threads much more recently than 3+ years ago (but darn if I can find them quickly for you)
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/best-cp-soap-books.76846/

This one has several reading suggestions in it. My advice is buy from a reputable source, but keep that source's agenda in mind. Brambleberry (sorry, her name is escaping me at the moment) has some good books with great instructions, photos and ideas to get you started. BUT keep in mind she also runs a business selling supplies so some of her recipes may include higher end oils that really aren't needed because she's trying to get you to buy those oils from her.

I finally found that one other author, besides Anne L. Watson. Her name is Cheryl Boyd. For books, there's Alicia Grosso and Gregory Lee White too.

Steer clear of Speedy Publishing and beware of bundles. I've looked into food recipes and needle crafts as well- you get what you pay for sometimes. You don't always want that.

@amd I think you're thinking of Anne-Marie Faiola. I never read her books

And you could always look at DeeAnna's soapmaking info : http://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.html
There's lots of good info there.
The Beginner's section here has godd info as well and you will get to see a lot of soap makers opinions too.

Thanks Steve85569,

I found her site (didn't know who she was back then) a month or so ago and refer back to it often. Have also taken lots of notes. I've been reading everything I can find on the internet for several weeks. I spend about 7 or 8 hrs every day looking for the best, most accurate information I can find. That's how I found DeeAnna's site which brought me to this forum. :)

I finally found that one other author, besides Anne L. Watson. Her name is Cheryl Boyd. For books, there's Alicia Grosso and Gregory Lee White too.

Steer clear of Speedy Publishing and beware of bundles. I've looked into food recipes and needle crafts as well- you get what you pay for sometimes. You don't always want that.

@amd I think you're thinking of Anne-Marie Faiola. I never read her books

Great! Thank you! I will look for those as well. :)

Thanks! Clicked the link and for some reason I get a 2 dollar credit on that title. No idea why. lol but I'll take it. :)

Ok, had to post additional info/vent. Sorry.

My original goal when I started researching how to make soap a few weeks ago was simply that ... how to make natural soaps that I could incorporate my herbs into via infused oils etc.
What I found was that soapmaking was far more complicated ... and addicting ... then I thought. Soooo many ways to make soap. I decided on HP because it will allow me to use infused oils or water after the cook. So the properties of my infusions stay safe and functional.

Then I find there are at least 3 ways to make hot process soap. Then of course my daughter tells me she wants me to make "shampoo bars" ... and off we go into another direction. Found out there is little to no way to make a "natural" shampoo bar that will not ruin your hair due to high PH and then found out the if the PH is too low, it will no longer be soap. Which brought me back to syndet bars. Syndet bars are also rather elusive currently as well, due to synthetics.

Then of course, there is my issue. Very very baby fine hair that does not respond to commercial shampoos very well at all. I haven't even used real shampoo for a year. Rosemary "tea" and rye flour only ... but would like to make it a little more convenient instead of making the "tea" all the time just to wash my hair.

My vent for the hour and the reason I'm continuing my search for books and whatever info I can find that eventually give me the ability to produce the items in question. :)

Sorry to be so long winded. I will stop now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite book is Simple and Natural Soapmaking by Jan Berry. After checking out the library’s copy, I bought my own Kindle version. I also bought the Kindle version of Smart Soapmaking by Anne L. Watson and Making Soap from Scratch by Gregory Lee White. The last two are reasonably priced in Kindle version. The Berry book costs more, but is well worth it.

My favorite book is Simple and Natural Soapmaking by Jan Berry. After checking out the library’s copy, I bought my own Kindle version. I also bought the Kindle version of Smart Soapmaking by Anne L. Watson and Making Soap from Scratch by Gregory Lee White. The last two are reasonably priced in Kindle version. The Berry book costs more, but is well worth it.

Great! Thank you!

Latest posts

Back