Freaking out re. Batter ingestion.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
At lunch, I gave my daughter a glass of tea and she took a swallow and immediately brought it to me saying it's bad. I was puzzled and told her it was tea it shouldn't be bad. She took another swallow and insisted it was bad.

So I took her cup to taste it and as I was about to pull the top off, I noticed a smear of white. I wasn't sure what it was, so I stuck my finger to it and wiped it up and curiously stuck my tongue to it.. I got zapped.. apparently, when I was making soap this afternoon, some of the batter got onto my clean dishes a few feet away..

I immediately took her to the sink and washed her mouth (inside and out) with a paper towel to get any residue, then gave her a new cup of tea and told her to drink it. After she had a few swallows, I asked her if it was still bad and she said no.

So my question is, is there anything else you would recommend doing? It couldn't have been more than a little drop of batter from the look of the smear. I don't even know if she actually ingested any of just touched her tongue to it as she was trying to drink.

It would burn the throat and stomach. I did something similar. It isnt ingested batter but more soap residue into mouth whilst drinking. If nervous call. Id personally think if no severe or even minor burning sensations then it is ok. Depending on the amount of batter ingested it could be perfectly ok. A quick call for peace of mind wouldnt hurt either. Not a doc but just my opinion.

It's amazing where it can get. We had soapy pizza one night. I had been soaping that day and I use the butchers block to put my mould on and pour, that was OK. That night I made homemade pizza and used the block to put the pizza on and cut it.
I thought there was nothing left on the block after soaping , but I was wrong. We still ate the pizza, it must have been a small amount.

Batter can certainly fly. I too keep my counters as clear as possible. Accidents can and do happen. As long as she's not having any burning she's likely okay. I would have rinsed it thoroughly after removing the residue.

I've found splatters on the coffee maker and cabinets from banging my mold.

I, too, make sure that all dishes are up in closed cupboards, and all non-soaping items are removed from that section of the counter and sink. For fear of exactly something like that occurring.

If her mouth and throat are not burning, there should be no long-term issues. She would know if it were more than a tiny exposure.

Me too about the cleared off countertops. Before I start soaping everything is put away or waiting in the dishwasher. After soaping, I thoroughly clean all the surfaces, including the floor around my kitchen soaping area. Then I soak all the bowls, containers, utensils in hot soapy water overnight, hand wash them, finish loading the dishwasher and run it. With dogs and cats I feel like I can't be too careful...

Hope your little one is fine with no effects but a bad taste... Soapy pizza, eeewwwww! ;)

I don't think that your daughter was harmed. Just a red flag to all of us to be especially careful when using lye.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the reassurance. It it was me, I wouldn't have been worried, but it was my kid.

I usually have all the dishes put up as well, just had a lazy moment today and didn't want to before soaping. Nice reality check I reckon.

She seems to have made a full recovery and is running around with her older sister wrecking their room lol.

Latest posts

Back