Frankincense Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corax

Reaction score
Yesterday I made this tiny batch scented with four cones of Frankincense. And the scent is all over the room, so it survived the process.

Frankincense is my favourite among incenses. The cones were crushed and rapesseed oil heated to a boil was poured over the crushed incense and left to itself for 3 weeks. I left the pieces in the oil as they were blended later on in the process. Black Mica was also added for the colour.

HPIM1336.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The cones were from Stamford, then you can make some more educated assumptions

I see this brand sold by vendors regularly and would never use them in soap. There is really no information on their site except extract and fragrances. Much better to purchase a Frank body saft fragrace or eo

What is Stamford? Not heard of them.
. Okay did a google search. It’s a company that makes incense.

I also did some research and would be concerned as incense cones are made with wood and sawdust. Can contain DPG with EO or Just EO. I personally wouldn’t use them for my soaps. For your personal use if you trust it go for it.

Also boiling you oil I would be concerned about the stability of the oil since it’s already prone to a short shelf life. Prone to developing DOS.

Is DPG an abbreviation of Dipropylene glycol?

I can see it's used in Lush's bath bombs and advertised by Brambleberry to cut fragrances to make them skin safe (links to webpage containing the quote).

What is the concern in soap?
(No offence intended by this question - I don't know this ingredient, so I'm asking people who do for the why of it, to determine where the concern is).

Biggest problem with Dipropylene glycol in soap is it seizes it. I would be more concerned about the fragrances used. Any I have seen with this brand are burning oils that are not body safe. They do not use just eo's. Cones are made with sawdust, but then sawdust has been use as soap fillers. I have even asked by a customer for wood soap

Latest posts

Back