Frankincense & Myrrh FOs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellador

Reaction score
What is this scent supposed to smell like? I got an FO I recently soaped, and I have no idea if it's an accurate representation of the real thing. It smells smoky, woody, and maybe just a hint of sweetness (like chocolate). Does this sound right? I see some suppliers reference citrus notes, but the one doesn't have any that I can detect.
Honestly, this scent isn't for me...it's kind of headache inducing to me & I have never experienced that with other scents before. :smallshrug:

Honestly about the best way I know how to describe it is "smells like church". If you're Catholic it's what's often used when they use incense during mass. I know that might not help for some people but scents can be really hard to describe, and that is definitely one of them lol

I find F&M to be slightly medicinal and green with a sweetness to it, more "powdery" sweet than "vanilla" sweet. If that makes sense. I suppose an FO will change depending on what you use for oils - my recipe uses cocoa butter so all of my scents have a "mysterious" chocolate note underlying everything. Most people don't notice it, lol. I think just from the description of smoky and woodsy, you've probably got a good FO.

I have not found any FO to be a dupe of the real thing. I have often made soaps from the EOs and they always have the right aroma, yes church like, incense like, smokey but I don’t really get the sweet thing as in vanilla in the EO. All the FOs I have tried ( UK only) and they number many have either a sickly sweet vanilla note which I detest with vengeance or the odd one which smells like smokey creosote the wood preservative or just some invention they have come up with and called it F&M. For me it’s got to be the real deal.

The BB one was my favourite and they've discontinued it :'(

It smelled dusty to me, musky and dark but sophisticated.

I've tried some others and they are too sweet and bright

Latest posts

Back