Frankincense & Myrrh FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a F & M FO from NDA and do not like it as well as WSP's version, however it is much more cost effective. The scent needs to be deepened or perhaps a touch smokey or something. My thought is to mix a little Patchouli EO with it. Any other thoughts?

If you want smoky and you have Cade EO, that should do the trick. Mind, I've never used it in soap, but the tiniest smidge (literally one drop) imparts so much smoke. You'd never guess.

Sandalwood?

Thanks. I didn't think of Sandalwood. I do have some.

If you want smoky and you have Cade EO, that should do the trick. Mind, I've never used it in soap, but the tiniest smidge (literally one drop) imparts so much smoke. You'd never guess.

I don't have Cade...actually don't even know what it is. Not really sure I want smokey, just don't know how else to describe it.

I have tried both (NDA and WSP's) and agree. I believe the difference is that WSP's includes a small percentage of essential oils (I think they display the percentage somewhere in the description). Since NDA has low prices in bulk essential oils, I would try including some frankincense and perhaps Myrrh EO's in it instead. (Though Myrrh is so thick, I might think about it first). Also, NDA's does not have as much vanillin, mine did not discolor and WSP's did discolor more. So perhaps vanilla FO would help too?

I have tried both (NDA and WSP's) and agree. I believe the difference is that WSP's includes a small percentage of essential oils (I think they display the percentage somewhere in the description). Since NDA has low prices in bulk essential oils, I would try including some frankincense and perhaps Myrrh EO's in it instead. (Though Myrrh is so thick, I might think about it first). Also, NDA's does not have as much vanillin, mine did not discolor and WSP's did discolor more. So perhaps vanilla FO would help too?
Thanks, these are very good ideas.

I second vanilla, it's one of the components of WSP's. I would also add some patchouli and cedarwood. You probably wouldn't need much - If I were doing it, I would do 5% cedarwood, 5% patchouli, and 10% vanilla. BUT I also don't know what the FO smells like :)

Just to clarify, that's the percentage of the blend, not the percentage to add to soap. So doing (for example) 1 oz total:
.05 oz cedarwood
.05 oz patchouli
.10 oz vanilla
.80 oz FO

I second vanilla, it's one of the components of WSP's. I would also add some patchouli and cedarwood. You probably wouldn't need much - If I were doing it, I would do 5% cedarwood, 5% patchouli, and 10% vanilla. BUT I also don't know what the FO smells like :)

Just to clarify, that's the percentage of the blend, not the percentage to add to soap. So doing (for example) 1 oz total:
.05 oz cedarwood
.05 oz patchouli
.10 oz vanilla
.80 oz FO
Yes, in an attempt to fix it up earlier, I did add cedarwood and something else which I would have to look at notes to remember. That didn't do it. It smells manly but not F & M. After looking at the price of the E.O.s I don't think that's an option. I'm really leaning toward vanilla being the missing link but will probably try some Patch too.

Anyone try the F&M from NG or BCN ? Curious how they smell compared to NDA / WSP
I can't find the F&M on NDA just Myrrh and then F
Not sure if this helps but on NG site is says :
combination of olibanum, myrrh, patchouli, herbaceous woodsy pine, sheer musk, vanilla, and floral lilac notes.

Top Notes: Lilac, pine
Mid Notes: Heliotrope, jasmine, musk
Base Notes: Frankincense, myrrh, patchouli, vanilla, olibanum

Last edited:
I bought a F & M FO from NDA and do not like it as well as WSP's version, however it is much more cost effective. The scent needs to be deepened or perhaps a touch smokey or something. My thought is to mix a little Patchouli EO with it. Any other thoughts?
I've tried the F &M from Nature's Garden. It smells wonderful and had a long lasting fragrance.

Anyone try the F&M from NG or BCN ? Curious how they smell compared to NDA / WSP
I can't find the F&M on NDA just Myrrh and then F
Not sure if this helps but on NG site is says :
combination of olibanum, myrrh, patchouli, herbaceous woodsy pine, sheer musk, vanilla, and floral lilac notes.

Top Notes: Lilac, pine
Mid Notes: Heliotrope, jasmine, musk
Base Notes: Frankincense, myrrh, patchouli, vanilla, olibanum
I've tried it. I love it and so does my family and friends who's tried it.

Yes I see NDA doesn't sell it anymore, probably for a good reason.
I just noticed that when I went to check potential discolouration, and it was no longer listed! I'm planning to make a batch tomorrow using it, so we'll report back.

While looking for something else, I came across this F & M at The Original Soapdish. I've purchased from them a few times over the years and have never been disappointed. Their "Kelp" FO is amazing in Kelp Soap. But I digress... here's the skinny

Frankincense & Myrrh II (Lebermuth)
Considered by soap makers to be the best Frankincense & Myrrh fragrance on the market, The Lebermuth Company's blend of frankincense, olibanum and myrrh is exotically complex and earthy. Test Notes: No acceleration or ricing. Discolors to tan. FP: 169°F. Low flashpoint fragrance.

http://www.thesoapdish.com/fragrance.htm

Latest posts

Back