Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakoda Baker

Reaction score
I made a fantastic shave soap and I'm wanting to make a matching aftershave. I have the base recipe worked out, but the fragrance is hanging me up. I'm not sure if I'm restricted to EO's. If so, I might be outta luck. I guess my question is can I use FO in alcohol based aftershave without risk of something like separation or poor performance.

This post was in reference to aftershave. The other one was shave soap. I wasn’t sure where to post it to get an answer. Regardless, this forum is a treasure trove of helpfulness!!

Man, you’re all over the place [emoji1303]

Yes- you can use FO in an aftershave. FO's are what I use for scenting the aftershaves I make for my hubby and son. Just make sure to follow the safe usage guidelines for your particular FO (usually posted on the vendor's site of where you bought the FO). For my own, I find that .5 to 1% FO as per the weight of the aftershave is plenty, which most times is a few points below the actual maximum safe usage rate, which is super cool. You don't need a lot, that's for sure.

IrishLass :)

Yes- you can use FO in an aftershave. FO's are what I use for scenting the aftershaves I make for my hubby and son. Just make sure to follow the safe usage guidelines for your particular FO (usually posted on the vendor's site of where you bought the FO). For my own, I find that .5 to 1% FO as per the weight of the aftershave is plenty, which most times is a few points below the actual maximum safe usage rate, which is super cool. You don't need a lot, that's for sure.

IrishLass :)

Awesome. So it’s by weight, not volume, even with aftershave?

Sounds good. I’ll make the conversion. My current base recipe is measured in US Cups.
So... where can I post more questions about fragrances? For instance, when scaling recipes like this, do I use the same multiplier for FO’s, or do I increase the FO on its own? Sorry if that’s confusing.

If it's just for you or just a one-time deal, then do what seems best, but realize the equipment we normally use for volume measurements isn't nearly as accurate as a decent scale. If you want to have repeatable, accurate control over the ingredients in your formulation, weight is the way to go.

Oh, forgot --

"...do I use the same multiplier for FO’s..."

I would -- I can't think of an example when I'd use a different multiplier for scent.

Also, you may want to consider converting your recipe from cups to weight measurements if you plan on making a lot of it. Much more accurate. When I created mine I did it in grams for consistency. Just a thought. When scaling up you would still use 1% or less in FO. It would be based on the weight of your batch. If I understand your question correctly.

Back