Fragrances from a new supplier

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bountifulsoaps

Reaction score
Just bought a bunch of fragrances from soapalooza. Never used them before so I am scared. How accurate our their rates of fragrances to the amount of oils in a batch of soap. They are saying .5 - .8. What do you guys think? I've always just used MMS or Camden Gray (essential oils for them).

There is a fragrances I just love from MMS called Earth. I put it in almost every batch to blend with earth types blends. But...they want 60 dollars now for 16 ounces, cannot do that. Any blends from this company soapalooza that is very earthy but not vanilla?

Thanks,

Depends on which fo's you purchase. If you have Vanilla Sandalwood it needs more. I use a rate of 1.2% ppo. Her Champagne is strong, and so is Big Sur which is my favorite from Kelly. Big sure can go under 1% ppo although I use it at the 1%.

Feel free to contact Kelly Bloom directly with questions. I think you'll be amazed at her depth of knowledge. She's been in the business of formulating FOs for probably 20 years (?). She is hands-on and very knowledgeable. I still use her recommendation of 0.85% in the box on SoapCalc and that generally works well for most FOs, altho I use MMS fragrance calc at times as well.

Well I may be in trouble. Wanting to try her fragrances I ordered 4 ounces on each fragrance to use in my 5 pound oil batches.. I should have asked before hand.

All her fragrances say somewhere between .6 - .8 which would be 4 ounces for the .8. Hope I didn't buy needlessly.

Last edited:
By ".8" or ".5", are you meaning in terms of ounces ppo or % ppo? If in terms of "ounces ppo", then yes, I find that most of the FOs I have from them can be used just fine at .75 or .8 oz ppo (which translated to "percentage" parlance comes to between 5% and 6% ppo).

IrishLass :)

By ".8" or ".5", are you meaning in terms of ounces ppo or % ppo?
I think it means the number you put in the fragrance box on SoapCalc. For 60 oz oils, CP soap, I use 0.85 oz/lb. It calculates the amount of FO needed for that size batch -- looks like this:
FO needed.png

Back