Fragrances free from a certain chemical?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikvahnrose

Reaction score
Hi there, a long while back a person on a facebook group said she get's fragrance oils free from certain chemical. The chemical i guess can cause reproductive or cancerous harm? Idk.

I was wondering if you guys could clue me in to the name of that chemical to look out for. I totally forgot what it was. BHA? i'm not sure.

Also, if a company doesn't declare it is free from that chemical, would the msds say so or is that something i would have to contact the company and ask.

Thank you :]

Fragrances are often secret. Msds will more likely say something like 'skin corrosion / irritant: category _' or 'carcinogen cat _ '. It's kind of like solving an adventurous crossword puzzle trying to figure everything out. There are lots of possible carcinogens allowed in fragrance. There are lots of ingredients that early studies may indicate carcinogens, which other studies will disprove, and eventually we'll find out the verdict ten years down the road. And there are endocrine disruptors and who knows what else. I'm new to all this too, it is so frustrating!

Phlalates! Yes, that is the word. if a company doesn't say it is free from that, would calling them be able to clear that up?

If the FOs are phthalate free they will most likely advertise that - it's pretty trendy to avoid those. Wouldn't hurt to ask though.

Hi there, a long while back a person on a facebook group said she get's fragrance oils free from certain chemical. The chemical i guess can cause reproductive or cancerous harm? Idk.

I was wondering if you guys could clue me in to the name of that chemical to look out for. I totally forgot what it was. BHA? i'm not sure.

Also, if a company doesn't declare it is free from that chemical, would the msds say so or is that something i would have to contact the company and ask.

Thank you :]
BHA and BHT are both antidoxidants used in very small amounts in food, cosmetics and soaping. Useage is approx 0.1-0.1%

Funny you should bring this up. This year we are going phthalate free for the majority of our fragrances. Our clients are pretty savvy about this stuff so we figured we'd better try to stay ahead of it all!

I stopped having migraines for the most part about 10 years ago. The one thing that can still trigger them is phthalate. So, I, and millions of migraine sufferers, thank you.

ETA: What company is that? I would like to help support companies that offer phthalate free fragrances.

I stopped having migraines for the most part about 10 years ago. The one thing that can still trigger them is phthalate. So, I, and millions of migraine sufferers, thank you.

ETA: What company is that? I would like to help support companies that offer phthalate free fragrances.

We get most of our fo's from candle science, natures garden and WSP. You just need to read the description.

Back