Fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

country gal

Reaction score
So......if I am happy and comfortable with my soap recipe and want to try adding some fragrances, where should I start. I have read that EO's are better to use but are very pricey. I was given FO from Natures Garden and tried that and it seemed to work fine. I just don't have the money to make too many errors!!! So I am counting on you guys!!!!!
Can you recommend some suppliers for EO. And/or does any one use FO from Nature's Garden and are you happy with them. On the bottle that was given to me it mentions use for candles and on there site some where I read that they were not tested in CP soaps. (I was given Oatmeal Milk-n- honey)
Thank you in advance!!
Jeanette

just make sure the FO is "soap safe". there are many candle suppliers that sell FOs that are also soap safe (meaning safe for use in soap on the skin), but some are not. As far as being tested in CP soap by the company (as long as it is again, soap safe), that just means that they make no claims for how it behaves in soap, it might not smell great or hold up well to CP soaping, discolor, or it might accelerate trace or that sort of thing.

i prefer EOs. wholesale supplies plus has good EOs at a good price. and there are many that are more reasonable than others, mints, citrus, lavender, palmarosa are more budget concious essential oils.

I use both EO's & FO's in soap, but there are many that can be tricksy.

Most of the good suppliers will include info about how the fragrance behaves in various types of applications, because they either test themselves, or post customer reviews. It's best to buy from them rather than craft stores.

Are you doing CP soap? Some fragrances cause accelerated trace, even seizing while mixing. Others morph as the soap cures. Fragrances with vanilla are notoriuos for changing the color of soap to brown depending upon how much is in the fragrance.

I used an FO recently that turned my soap a dirty tan color, then morphed to mauve.

My most recent FO foooooooopaw was one that caused temporary riceing. I kept stirring & it went away, however there were spots of brown FO throughout my log of soap.

A LOT of using EO's & FO's will come from experimentation.

:) You can always come here & ask before you purchase a particular scent. More than likely someone here has used it, & we'd be happy to offer our experience.

I buy EOs and FOs from Fragrance and Flavors. They have really (really!) good prices and tell you if the scents work for certain types of soaps, candles, etc.

In additional to info from the seller, here's a good place for info on scents from different suppliers:

http://soapscentreview.obisoap.ca

There are still some variables involved, but it can give you a good idea of what to expect. :)

Digit

I think Lavender is a wonderful EO for a newbie. It does not accelerate or rice and you can get a nice white soap if your oils are not too yellow in themselves. The lavender sticks in the soap to the last sliver, almost everyone loves the scent and your house smells good during the cure!!
Also, it is safe for even little ones. I have been using Lavender 40/42 from
New Directions, but I am not very educated about EOs and I know there are lots of other suppliers out there that sell good Lavender as well.
Two more good points for Lavender...it is not expensive and it mixes with so many other EO's and even some FO's. A good basic to have on hand!!

Latest posts

Back