Fragrance Usage Rate Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Gee

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been trying to learn about the difference between EOs and FOs, and how to keep scent longer in my CP soaps. I'm very new to this.

I found an 'all natural' FO, that I really think smells amazing. It's called Natural Pink Himalayan Salt and Neem Fragrance Oil, and I'm really keen on it. Here's a link: Natural Pink Himalayan Salt & Neem Fragrance Oil . I made a CP soap with it on July 7, and included pink clay that I thought might help fix the scent. It faded badly, and now I can't smell much of it at all.

There was 870 g of oil (30 oz/ 1.875 pounds) and I used 38 g of the FO. I could have used a bit more (42 g) if I was following the .8 oz per pound, which is what the supplier has suggested when I emailed looking for more information. They were quoting a general suggestion of 0.8 oz/lb though and didn't have specific information for me for this particular fragrance.

So- my question is- can I safely use more of it? I will also try to use a bit of cornstarch to fix it too. There is a 'technical information' section on the website about it, but I don't understand how it relates (or if it relates) to usage rates.

Any help is very welcome! Thanks!

1595831954951.png

Here's my faded soap...

Sadly some fragrances just don't last. I use 6% mostly but I'm in the US and I don't purchase Fo's that don't have at least 6% usage rate in soap. The supplier should be able to provide you with the IFRA documents on the fragrance. If they say it can be used up to .8 that's what I would have started with.

Sadly some fragrances just don't last. I use 6% mostly but I'm in the US and I don't purchase Fo's that don't have at least 6% usage rate in soap. The supplier should be able to provide you with the IFRA documents on the fragrance. If they say it can be used up to .8 that's what I would have started with.
Thanks so much- I found the IFRA document: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...d_Neem_Fragrance_Oil_IFRA_Statement.pdf?10115
And it just states 100% for soap. Can’t figure out 100% of what? Any hints for deciphering the IFRA?

Natural fragrances tend to break down in CP soap and disappear very quickly. Wholesale supplies plus has natural fragrances that they sell but everyone of them says they are to delicate for use in soap making. I don't use

EO are essential oils that have been distilled in some manner from a particular part of a plant. They are very concentrated and require some kind of dilution before using them. They are natural scents and therefore can be very delicate.

FO's are generally synthetic forms of natural scents but they can be natural or a combination of synthetic and natural. They also can include EO's in them as well. They are generally the best way to add scents to soap and cosmetics, as they are stable and last longer.

However they can be tricky to use in your soap. Some can cause your soap to thicken very quickly and if they contain a large amount of vanillin in them, they can turn your soap brown. A good supplier will give you safe level recommendations for their FO's along with test results, vanillin levels and what color the fragrance makes your soap. You can counteract all of these things with a little knowledge and experience.

I hope this helps you.

Natural fragrances tend to break down in CP soap and disappear very quickly. Wholesale supplies plus has natural fragrances that they sell but everyone of them says they are to delicate for use in soap making. I don't use

EO are essential oils that have been distilled in some manner from a particular part of a plant. They are very concentrated and require some kind of dilution before using them. They are natural scents and therefore can be very delicate.

FO's are generally synthetic forms of natural scents but they can be natural or a combination of synthetic and natural. They also can include EO's in them as well. They are generally the best way to add scents to soap and cosmetics, as they are stable and last longer.

However they can be tricky to use in your soap. Some can cause your soap to thicken very quickly and if they contain a large amount of vanillin in them, they can turn your soap brown. A good supplier will give you safe level recommendations for their FO's along with test results, vanillin levels and what color the fragrance makes your soap. You can counteract all of these things with a little knowledge and experience.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks for all the help from everyone.

This is helpful, I bought a fragrance that is lovely (Christmas cabin) from Natures garden but the CP recommendation is 1%...that is not very much and I don't think my scent is gonna hold. I actually used 2 oz in 3 lbs of soap and now wonder how irritating it is going to be on the skin.

This is helpful, I bought a fragrance that is lovely (Christmas cabin) from Natures garden but the CP recommendation is 1%...that is not very much and I don't think my scent is gonna hold. I actually used 2 oz in 3 lbs of soap and now wonder how irritating it is going to be on the skin.

You may be okay for personal use. However, not a good idea otherwise.

Latest posts

Back