Fragrance usage question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly B

Reaction score
I've seen some fragrances lately where the IFRA maximum usage was below 2.5% on soap and body products. Will that low of a percentage (if I do the math right, that's less than half an ounce ppo) be enough to fragrance CP soap or should I go with a different fragrance?

Also, I have read reviews of a few of these low usage FOs, and a some of the reviewers say they use the more typical 1 oz ppo. So I guess my second question is, how dangerous is that? I don't want to make a soap that smells wonderful but makes your skin fall off.:(

Thank you all for your guidance.

I hate when I see people using more than the IFRA. It is dangerous. It's not likely to make your skin fall off but they come up with these usage rates for different reasons, sensitizers, irritants, toxic compounds (that may be safe to use at low levels...like coumarin).

I wouldn't use a fragrance with such a low usage rate. I tend to only use fragrances at at least 1-2% under their IFRA max and try to have much more leeway. Most times I use fragrances around 6% I will want their IFRAs to be 8%+

I don't use FO's that don't have at least 5% usages. I do not use more than IFRA recommendations but on occasion will use the amount on the whole batch and not just oil weight. Rarely but I have. I use 6% with a few exceptions.

I agree with Megan, Dixie, and Shari -- if the IFRA guideline is any much lower than 6% (approx 1 oz ppo), I really don't want to use it. I'm not interested in doing the homework to make my own determination of risk; the IFRA guidelines are good enough for me.

I hate when I see people using more than the IFRA. It is dangerous. It's not likely to make your skin fall off but they come up with these usage rates for different reasons, sensitizers, irritants, toxic compounds (that may be safe to use at low levels...like coumarin).

I wouldn't use a fragrance with such a low usage rate. I tend to only use fragrances at at least 1-2% under their IFRA max and try to have much more leeway. Most times I use fragrances around 6% I will want their IFRAs to be 8%+
You can hate it all you want. IRFA is a self-governing organization, not an FDA organization. It is also not a requirement for fragrance manufacturers to submit all fragrances to the IFRA. When I started soaping we had to use common sense and testing so do not bash everyone that may go above recommended percentages. Of course, I am the rebel with very sensitive skin. :rolleyes:

You can hate it all you want. IRFA is a self-governing organization, not an FDA organization. It is also not a requirement for fragrance manufacturers to submit all fragrances to the IFRA. When I started soaping we had to use common sense and testing so do not bash everyone that may go above recommended percentages. Of course, I am the rebel with very sensitive skin. :rolleyes:
I respect IFRA and trust their decisions. I will not buy fragrances without IFRA percentages. That being said, I also use common sense and test all new fragrances on my sensitive skin as well.

You're saying you would blatantly use more than the IFRA?

I respect IFRA and trust their decisions. I will not buy fragrances without IFRA percentages. That being said, I also use common sense and test all new fragrances on my sensitive skin as well.

You're saying you would blatantly use more than the IFRA?

I agree, IFRA sets limits for a reason and we shouldn't encourage people to go against it - and for those of us stuck with cosmetic assessments in order to sell, using above the IFRA standard is simply not permitted.

I am not encouraging people to go against IFRA. In the US we still do not have to go through Assessments. I will also reiterate IFRA for soap does not state usage ppo or batch weight. It is a fairly large difference in the resulting percentage.

Last edited:
Yep know you dont have safety assessments in the US and imo that's even more reason to follow IFRA guides as there is no regulatory check that what is sold doesn't contain harmful quantities.

The max usage is based on so many factors inc allergens and sensitisers so if it's for personal use feel free to use whatever you want but if it's for sale surely no one should exceed the max use stated? If someone did surely that would invalidate your businesses insurance...?

I've seen some fragrances lately where the IFRA maximum usage was below 2.5% on soap and body products. Will that low of a percentage (if I do the math right, that's less than half an ounce ppo) be enough to fragrance CP soap or should I go with a different fragrance?

Also, I have read reviews of a few of these low usage FOs, and a some of the reviewers say they use the more typical 1 oz ppo. So I guess my second question is, how dangerous is that? I don't want to make a soap that smells wonderful but makes your skin fall off.:(

Thank you all for your guidance.

I think one of the main things you need to consider, is that when fragrances are added to soap, you are using them topically. Unless you are very sensitive to aroma, you a looking at skin irritation in relation to topical use. The higher the % of fragrance, the greater the risk of skin irritation. Some people are more sensitive to chemical components than others, which is why you'll see on some fragranced products labels state there is limonene, linalool or geraniol in them. Limonene is a major component in citrus oils and when exposed to air, oxidises and forms peroxides. Peroxides aren't particularly well tolerated by the skin. I personally stick well clear of fragrance oils and only use essential oils. Yes, they can have the same ingredients and it's definitely more expensive using them but it's a personal preference. As long as you know the risks, I don't see any harm in experimenting for personal use. Product for sale is a totally different kettle of fish :)

I'm a bit confused here by the apparent passion on this topic. Never-the-less, I was under the impression that fragrance oils were actually saponified during the process. That said, if I'm after a particular fragrance the IFRA gives a low number that doesn't get me that result I'll up the % a bit and anchor it in kaolin clay. If it's too strong (uh, never) it won't be in 7 months and the soap has mellowed by then.

Remember that as FO are reformulated the IFRA may change. Reviews of a fragrance that used more than the IFRA amount may have been a review of a version of the fragrance where the supplier didn't provide the IFRA or the IFRA changed. There are several examples of fragrances that we have all used in the past at rates that were considered acceptable at the time but today would not meet the low IFRA rates.

Latest posts

Back