Fragrance/Scent is stuck to my kitchen

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marilynmac

Reaction score
How can I get the FO smell out of my kitchen?

I made a batch of soap with my daughter, she used lots of jasmine FO. I'm very sensitive to scents, and it's giving me headaches. I moved the soap outside, but cleanup did not get rid of the scent that is still everywhere inside (it's a very small space). It's given me a bad headache. I can't see any FO anywhere, but I'm guessing a drop of the FO is still somewhere and I can't find it or it's not getting removed by my cleaners. I used Dawn direct to clean countertops and sink and all exposed surfaces... Maybe someone with more experience knows how to fix this?

Thx

I use silicone mats to protect my wood counters. I wash the spoons or containers that measured the FO right away and not in the dishwasher. Wash the soap bowls right away too and separately from other kitchen utensils.

I dislike FOs in my kitchen too, so I get a little anal when using them, making sure they do not come in contact with anything that might ever be used for food preparation.

Possibly a dumb question - have you emptied the trash? Possibly you wiped up with a paper towel and put it in the trash?

Some FOs just seem to stick. I made some Sandalwood soap. It really stuck around for days! I love the smell of sandalwood - but then I was cooking garlic chicken and OMG that combo was nauseating!

The smell may also be sticking to the molds and utensils you used, especially if they are silicone.

I use hdpe cutting boards on my counter top for soaping and set my fo's on plastic cafeteria trays, in case of a spill the tray will hold the fo. If you have tile counters with grout it is very difficult to remove fo from the grout. Four large hdpe cutting boards cover the section of counter I use for soaping completely. A silicone mat or one of my soaping rags is used under my soap bucket to prevent it from slipping. I know coarse salt will help remove residual fo from an emply bottle of fo but now sure how that would work on a counter. Scrub your floor thoroughly, any spilled fo or eo can melt some flooring like any solvent

And if you used paper towels to clean up, and threw them in the plastic trash can, see if the fragrance has permeated the plastic. Had this happen to me with lavender EO.(which I can NOT abide!)

Great, now I have many new ways to clean! The smell is gone now, and I bought a few silicone mats to put everywhere. Onward...

Back