Fragrance oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HobbyMom

Reaction score
I got my nurture soap orders today that included my first micas and fragrance oils but the smell of the fragrance oils in my house is killing me. I am going to have to move them to my shed. I am having a smell overload or something.

I don't normally use perfume or scented things so this is a first for me. I really hope the smells aren't so strong in soap or I will be a scent free soap maker. Advice?

Well, certainly move them into the garage or something if you haven't done so already.

Have you ever noticed being aggravated by scented products in the aisles of grocery stores?

You can contact Nurture to see if they have a minimum usage rate recommendation for each fragrance you ordered. As an example; 8th and Ocean has a usage rate of 6%. You could either reduce that yourself by 50% (or whatever value you prefer), or ask Nurture's recommendation.

I have about 150 well cured, shrink wrapped bars of soap in the house - and it does perfume the entire downstairs. You may want to make small batches and see how the scent issue affects you.

Not at a normal stores mostly but the candle aisle or malls really give me a headache. So many stores like bath and body works and V.S. so close together.

We bagged them all and moved them. I think maybe we figured out was making my head hurt so bad. There were two scents that the smelled overpowered everything and the other oils. (even in my husbands and children's opinions) So we completely ditched those.

Not at a normal stores mostly but the candle aisle or malls really give me a headache. So many stores like bath and body works and V.S. so close together.

We bagged them all and moved them. I think maybe we figured out was making my head hurt so bad. There were two scents that the smelled overpowered everything and the other oils. (even in my husbands and children's opinions) So we completely ditched those.

Maybe it would be a good idea to (later when you feel better) bring out one fragrance at a time and open it - see how you react to it and if you think you'll like having bars of cured soap scenting your house. Of course, your type of house will make a difference. You might have a room you can seclude the soap in.

Freshly made soap can smell fairly strong for a week or so but then it mellows out considerably.
If I find a particular scent too much, I'll close that soap off in a spare room until its calmed down some.

Lavender essential oil is the only one that really gets to me. I love the fragrance, but after soaping with it, I feel terribly out of sorts for a couple of days. My dog sleeps a lot when I use it, though. :)

Lavender and lilac both affect me in a bad way. I make it and isolate it in a spare room until cut then it goes back in with the door closed. Florals aggravate me for some reason. I made a Plumeria that did the same but I just couldn’t stand it so donated it.

Latest posts

Back