~ Fragrance Oils vs Essential Oils? (drama)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) If anyone is in doubt of my penchant for sarcasm, have a look at this old thread!
Oh my, that thread was worth reading. Hilarious.

He definitely was from Big Goat. Or something. There was definitely some kind of agenda there, although it could have been something as simple as, "Wouldn't it be fun to rile up a bunch of folks today?!"

Another thing is, The EO's form MLMs have something like a 600% markup on the price (to make sure the uplines get a %of the profit). Here in South Africa, I have found a local company that produces Essential oils and I can buy wholesale from them for a fraction of the price, I also like them because they support local farmers, by sourcing their raw materials eg, lavender, marula, Cape chamomile, lemon/orange peels etc from local farmers. I'm sure you can find a brand in your country that sells EO's cheaper than MLM's.

But besides that, Essential oil sensitivities is a real thing. I love frankincense oil, it works well to relieve muscle and joint pain. I used to use it a lot. But last year I suddenly developed a sensitivity to it. I start puking my guts out if I put it on my skin (Diluted with a carrier oil).
My sister has a sensitivity to Rosemary EO. Same reaction. starts throwing up.
Not everyone can use EO's

Although having battled with skin cancer before, I am a bit hesitant to use artificial fragrances and colourants in my soaps. I still use lavender, chamomile, ylang-ylang etc. EOs in my soap recipes.
But it is so tempting to try the synthetic stuff because they look and smell so pretty. I'll probably buy a few FO's micas and oxides and try them out.

But If I ever do sell my soaps to the public one day, I would still like to offer a "natural soap option" free of synthetic fragrances and colourants to cater to the more purist clients.

But the fact is, It is your soaps. You are free to Soap your soaps, your way.

That dude was out of his mind. He only stuck around for about a month and we never heard from the person that tried it for long term outcomes.
Yes, or he had some hidden agenda -probably to sell lots of goat ghee, or get hits on his videos. 😂.

I didn’t watch the links he shared, since once someone like that starts sharing links, for me, that confirms the game-playing.

:) If anyone is in doubt of my penchant for sarcasm, have a look at this old thread!
you couln't let sleeping dogs lay... i was avoid posting in there because i had nothing nice to say. on a side note, i appreciated jill's comment all the same. i can think of loads of ways to make a person sick with common natural ingredients. 😏

Over the years of hanging around here, I've learned to be wary of newcomers making detailed or unusual demands for information in their very first post.

Usually they say very little to nothing about themselves and their motive for asking. They often get real impatient when other members get curious about why they want the info, and even a little snippy when people suggest alternative ways of thinking.

There's a thread like this that's active at the moment. The OP has already made a reasonably polite "what you said is not an answer to my question, so buzz off" comment to one respondent. That's telling me they have little interest in any responses that don't specifically answer their query.

It's as if they think the people on SMF are the Google of Soapmaking, and we should come up with 2,187,286 hits answering their question in 0.1635 milliseconds. And with no please-n-thank-you or nice-to-get-to-know-ya required.

It usually doesn't go well.

To the OP, since this discussion has (entertainingly for me at least!) gone far astray --

Here are my thoughts -- I hope things go well for you as you deal with this person who's fixated on your using only EOs, and (I'm guesing) only the EOs she sells.

I don't know that I'd debate the pros and cons of EOs vs FOs with her, since it sounds like she believes there is Only One True Way. People like that aren't willing to see both sides of an issue. She seems to be only interested in getting you to comply with her expectations, not compromising on a "can we agree to disagree" outcome.

What really concerns me is your employment could be at risk, if she decides to abuse her position over you. If I were in your shoes, I might say something on the order of "Oh, the idea of using FOs was just a passing fancy" to see if I could de-escalate her intensity. Dunno.

Last edited:
you could try and simulate a big allergic reaction or simulate a desire to vomit, when you smell certain oil. For example, lavender can cause hormone disorder if used in excess. for my self, i think using EO is too much expensive. it's soap not like a cream that you apply and that the skin absorbs it's like paying dearly and sending it directly down the drain.

Oh, with MGM, it is quite safe to assume that. 🤣. I actually take it for granted and look forward to it.
@MGM, you do know that this was my (sarcastic) version of a compliment, right? Just making sure! I really do enjoy your humor, probably because you say some things that I am already thinking. 😁

I would approach it a little differently. When she says “ we need to talk”, you should say, “yes, let’s set up a time to discuss this”. And then, set up 30 minutes to have the conversation with her about FO vs EO.

once you sit down with her to discuss EO vs FO, quickly shift the conversation from that topic to the topic “ you really wanted to talk to her about”......and then start asking her about either her religious beliefs or her political beliefs.

my guess is that, after 5-7 minutes of you taking the opposite opinion of whatever her belief system is, she will cut the conversation short, and will not want to discuss FO with you any longer 😀😀😀.

Long story short-ish, the lady I subcontract under in my non-soap business is an MLM distributor for essential oils. I mentioned in passing that I was excited to get a fragrance oil order come in so I can begin soap making and she immediately began telling me I shouldn’t be using chemical laced fragrance oils and that I should be using EO instead. She started saying we needed to have a talk and if I’m planning on selling I can’t be using chemicals like FO..

She has since antagonized me so much that I’d developing stress headaches and finding my anxiety heightened. She has tried to get me on the Essential oils train before with mentioning that I need oils when I say I’m a bit tired or have a headache but I brush those off but this has been relentless. She‘s even been telling her upline that I’m getting into FO, she mentions how we need to have a talk every time we pass each other and even has gone so far to ask what fragrances I’ve purchased so she can attack them.

Can someone please help me rebutt and make positive claims for Fragrance oils? I have tried telling her that a lot of essential oils burn off in the soaping process but she talked over me

Plus, I have no intentons on making all natural soaps, I love the fun candy looking soap and do not want to use essential oils. I also wouldn‘t want to buy her exoensive MLM oils even if I did use EO but she could kick me out of her building if she ever felt like it so I’m too nervous to tell her to cut the nagging

Please help me make a good case for Fragrance Oils!
Essential oils are known irritants. It's just as bad as fragrance oils. The carbon footprint of essential oils is large.

1000 roses for a small yield of EO, a lot of plants are killed in the making of EOs

Besides, the properties/smells of essential oils do not last in soap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back