Fragrance Oils Type (Can I buy from an Incense and Oils Guy)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm not sure if you have this in your city, but here there are always those guys selling incense, oils, black soaps and shea butter. Well, my question is about the oils they are selling. These oils are fragrance and you can put them on your body, they're strong so you really don't have to use much on your skin (maybe a dab at the most). I'm wondering if I can use this in soaps as well. Are these different than fragrance oils? I have a request for one of those particular oils that I have NOT been able to find in a Fragrance Oil form on any soaping supply site. Really need opinions before I waste this expensive oil doing a test batch.

I would not recommend using anything unless you know for sure they are skin safe. I would highly recommend using a reputable FO/EO supplier. What fragrance are you specifically looking for? I also wouldn't use any oils directly on the skin. You also need to know what the safe usage rate would be.

If they are skin safe straight from the bottle, they are very likely diluted, you don't know how they will react in the saponification process, or what carrier oils they are mixed with and how that will affect your SAP values.

I once tried tea tree oil from Trader Joes (who is known for quality goods, but I guess it wasn't an essential oil) and it made a whole batch of soap baby yack brown and now it smells like wet cardboard! Bleh.

Its white amber, I've been searching everywhere for it on a ton of fragrance sites and have not seen it. I've been directed to link after link that wasn't real. And these are skin safe, and they are grade A oils (I've contacted a direct wholesale supplier). But I'm not sure if it can be used in soap still.

As Seawolfe said, if they are skin-safe then they are diluted. I have some White Amber from Save on Scents. I purchased it to create a perfume blend but it didn't work in the blend so I would actually like to sell it! I could send a sample to you for a couple of dollars postage...

Last edited:
SeaWolfe is correct. You really do not know what is in the oils they are selling. We have a lot of those vendors here. Many times they are a good source for shea. They either import themselves or have a friend. I get my 25 lb blocks of shea from a simliar vendor at one of my markets. Not especially a great price but no shipping $75 for 25#'s

Last edited:
My first couple batches I bought some fragrance oils from a local specialty store, they sell alternative items, and I am sure they were diluted already, there was no warnings about skin safe or anything. It was actually the best clove fragrance and sandalwood vanilla fragrance I have found. They worked in my soap ok but I did hp with that batch so I don't know how it would have done in cp. The soaps are almost a year old and still have good scent even.

Okay, so I'm not sure if you have this in your city, but here there are always those guys selling incense, oils, black soaps and shea butter. Well, my question is about the oils they are selling. These oils are fragrance and you can put them on your body, they're strong so you really don't have to use much on your skin (maybe a dab at the most). I'm wondering if I can use this in soaps as well. Are these different than fragrance oils? I have a request for one of those particular oils that I have NOT been able to find in a Fragrance Oil form on any soaping supply site. Really need opinions before I waste this expensive oil doing a test batch.

Sounds like some entrepreneurs I encountered before. Their oils are are likely cut with another ingredient (dpg I think) so it may not be a good idea to use them for soap making. It would be better to buy the oil from a reputable FO store that sells the oils wholesale.

@Seawolf: I have a bottle of tea tree from Trader Joe's. :neutral: I've had a sneaking suspicion about it too...

Last edited:
Back