Fragrance oils losing smell

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I put in 2oz FO into all my batches. 1000g oils/60g FO (Well 2oz actually converts to 56.699g, but close enough for 6% to divide a 4oz bottle between two batches) Is it my nose? A bunch that are curing almost seem like the have very little smell now. I am very disappointed.

Am I calculating wrong? On olfactory overload? Or is it just the scents?

I put in 2oz FO into all my batches. 1000g oils/60g FO (Well 2oz actually converts to 56.699g, but close enough for 6% to divide a 4oz bottle between two batches) Is it my nose? A bunch that are curing almost seem like the have very little smell now. I am very disappointed.

I have several really pretty soaps that have citrusy scents that have faded to near nothing. But they are several months old. It’s such a bummer as citrus is my favorite scent, but I’m getting an expensive lesson on which FOs to stay away from I guess. Lol

Sadly citrus is hard to get to stick around. I use Nuture Soaps that has one similar to BB. Energy. It lasts quite a long time. I always add a bit of Litsea pr Lemongrass to other citrus scents to give them an extra boost.

I also use 6% fragrance in most of my soaps. But I don’t purchase but a couple that can’t be used at at least 6%.

Sadly citrus is hard to get to stick around. I use Nuture Soaps that has one similar to BB. Energy. It lasts quite a long time. I always add a bit of Litsea pr Lemongrass to other citrus scents to give them an extra boost.

I also use 6% fragrance in most of my soaps. But I don’t purchase but a couple that can’t be used at at least 6%.
Is the Nurture one called Awaken? I went to put that in my cart the other day and it was more than $25 for 8 oz! Dang...I’m sure I’d love this one but I couldn’t do it. Lol

@Catscankim I agree - have others smell them. I have the whole olfactory overload thing a lot of the time.

@Jersey Girl I've had good luck with Satsuma Orange from Nurture, most of the verbenas I've tried from various places, 10x orange EO from Bramble Berry and Citrus Bath (Lush Calacas dupe) from Fragrance Buddy is very strong and sticks for at least a year. If you like grapefruit, Pink Grapefruit from Bramble Berry is my favorite of the ones I've tried, and WSP's Pink Grapefruit is also good.

Do you use clay in your fragrance? Some people say it doesn't work, but to me it does. I let my clay sit with my fragrance for hours, and lately days - marinating happily along. I really think it makes a difference.

@Catscankim I agree - have others smell them. I have the whole olfactory overload thing a lot of the time.

@Jersey Girl I've had good luck with Satsuma Orange from Nurture, most of the verbenas I've tried from various places, 10x orange EO from Bramble Berry and Citrus Bath (Lush Calacas dupe) from Fragrance Buddy is very strong and sticks for at least a year. If you like grapefruit, Pink Grapefruit from Bramble Berry is my favorite of the ones I've tried, and WSP's Pink Grapefruit is also good.
I love NS Satsuma. Maybe I need to use a little more when I use it. I also have BB Orange 10x, and WSP Pink Grapefruit (but haven’t tried that one yet). I think I ordered the wrong oil when I ordered from FB. I got Citrus Tree which is an orange blossom scent and it is pretty light. I’ll have to get a bottle of the right one soon Cause I just adore orange scents! Have you ever added some orange 10x to other orange scents? I’m wondering if that would help make it stronger.

Oh man, I love, love, LOVE Awaken!! Annnnd, I put it in a salt bar. Drat! I may have to get some clay and try it. Maybe salt will help it stick?
Also. I thought my 'Sunshine on my mind' from Nurture had faded a LOT in just a month's cure, but I'm using it in the shower and the hot water really wakes the scent back up. Maybe will be the same with the other citrus ones?
*hope*

I love NS Satsuma. Maybe I need to use a little more when I use it. I also have BB Orange 10x, and WSP Pink Grapefruit (but haven’t tried that one yet). I think I ordered the wrong oil when I ordered from FB. I got Citrus Tree which is an orange blossom scent and it is pretty light. I’ll have to get a bottle of the right one soon Cause I just adore orange scents! Have you ever added some orange 10x to other orange scents? I’m wondering if that would help make it stronger.
I haven't used BB orange 10x blended with other orange fragrances, but I blend it with patchouli EO and can still clearly smell it. Pink Grapefruit is great on its own, but my most favorite is BB Grapefruit Belini and Pink Grapefruit 50:50. Grapefruit Belini can accelerate, and the grapefruit makes it easy to work with. Grapefruit Belini is one of my tippy-top favorites.

I haven't used BB orange 10x blended with other orange fragrances, but I blend it with patchouli EO and can still clearly smell it. Pink Grapefruit is great on its own, but my most favorite is BB Grapefruit Belini and Pink Grapefruit 50:50. Grapefruit Belini can accelerate, and the grapefruit makes it easy to work with. Grapefruit Belini is one of my tippy-top favorites.
Patchouli Orange is da bomb. One of my absolute favorite scents.

Adding orange peel powder and kaolin clay to my orange essential oil soaps work really well. I use brambleberry 10x orange and nature’s garden 5x mid season orange.

Not sure how this morphed into citrus FOs lol. These are non citrus fragraces that i feel that are losing smell. One in particular i can think of is my Black Raspberry Vanilla from nurture. My friend wants the whole loaf for xmas gifts. I havent taken any money from her yet, because i told her that we needed to wait for the cure to make sure i was happy with them first. I used 6% FO. They used to smell good enough to eat, Now i have to take a good long whiff before i can smell it.

I thought about making another one with kaolin clay to help it stick, but im not sure i can duplicate the drop swirl.

Another is Earth Meets Sky. These are only about two weeks old, but i really cant smell them at all.

All of my batches get 2oz of FO for my 1000g oils. My holiday Sangria smells out of this world and you can still smell it on your hands afterwards. One girl said its too pretty to use, and she has it on display in her bathroom to smell up the room lol.

I dunno. Maybe its just my nose. Gonna bring some samples in to work and see what my fans think lol.

I’ve got a batch of the black raspberry vanilla from Nurture that’s over a year old now and I can still smell it no problem. It seems to come back in force when it gets wet. I have a couple week old earth meets sky as well that is still overwhelming strong to me.

I do mostly HP and only use mine at 4%ish tho

Not sure how this morphed into citrus FOs lol. These are non citrus fragraces that i feel that are losing smell. One in particular i can think of is my Black Raspberry Vanilla from nurture. My friend wants the whole loaf for xmas gifts. I havent taken any money from her yet, because i told her that we needed to wait for the cure to make sure i was happy with them first. I used 6% FO. They used to smell good enough to eat, Now i have to take a good long whiff before i can smell it.

I thought about making another one with kaolin clay to help it stick, but im not sure i can duplicate the drop swirl.

Another is Earth Meets Sky. These are only about two weeks old, but i really cant smell them at all.

All of my batches get 2oz of FO for my 1000g oils. My holiday Sangria smells out of this world and you can still smell it on your hands afterwards. One girl said its too pretty to use, and she has it on display in her bathroom to smell up the room lol.

I dunno. Maybe its just my nose. Gonna bring some samples in to work and see what my fans think lol.
Both of the FOs you listed have stuck around really well for me. The Earth Meets Sky is quite strong and I made it a couple months ago. My BRV is also several months old and still smells great. I may be using a little more than you. My batches are 750+ grams and I use 2 oz.

Back