Fragrance Oil Use

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetpilot

Reaction score
I have a few questions in regards to using fragrance oil. Is fragrance oil considered part of superfat? My thinking is that it’s unsaponified oil in the soap... same as superfat. If you put into the recipe calculator 5% superfat and it tells you 73 grams should part of that 73% be fragrance oil? I know the soap calculator has a separate entry for fragrance oil but it’s still superfat in my mind because it’s not saponified and will effect he way the soap lathers. Thank you in advance!

Hello! Although it's called a fragrance "oil," I don't think there are many (if any) actual vegetable oils in FOs. They are made with synthetic compounds and considered an oil because they are oil soluble. I don't think fragrance will affect the SF percentage or affect lather in a meaningful way.
I hope this helps!

You'll sometimes see the phrase "carrier oils" or "base oils". These mean the oils that are actually fats - lard, coconut, olive, etc are all fatty acids. Some of the things we call "oils" are actually waxes - jojoba and lanolin, for example. And somethings we call wax, such as soy wax...are fats. Clear as mud, lol?

Fragrances oils and essential oils are not fats (or waxes). So they don't count towards superfat. That's why there's no space for fragrance oils listed in the chart of oils.

Latest posts

Back