Fragrance Oil Ruined By Magnesium?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amonik

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've made a few sticks of deodorant using a base recipe of 50% magnesium hydroxide, 10% cetyl alcohol, and 40% sunflower oil. The first one was with lavender and frankincense and worked very well. When I used that up, I wanted a rose scented one, and made a full size stick right away. I used a "natural fragrance oil" from Swedish webstore Organic Makers. It smelled fine at first, but after a couple of days it absolutely reeked! It smelled off in some way I can't describe. Not rancid, sour or fishy, just unpleasant and not at all nice. I tried one with rose absolute, same result. I blamed it on using cetyl alcohol from a different source, and recently tried again with the original kind of cetyl alc. Same result! I made two with the same base recipe and procedure, and the rose scented one reeks, the neroli one smells heavenly!

Questions:

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is it more likely to be related to the high pH of Magnesium Hydroxide, or something else about it?

Would it be likely to work better with some other rose fragrance oil that isn't so "natural" (in quotes because it's not a meaningful concept to me)?

Will I never be able to have my pits smell like roses?

Latest posts

Back