Fragrance Oil Queries

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeakie

Reaction score
I've made six small batches of soap so far (2 lbs of oils each), and have just used EOs so far, some for practical use (Tea Tree with cornmeal) and others for scent (Lavender, Orange and Clove).

While I'm very happy how the Tea Tree and Lavender scents turned out, and the Orange and Clove was okay (smelled a bit like hay early on - is better after 4 weeks of curing), I clearly am missing the well-rounded aromas that blending would afford. I simply don't have the time or the trial and error $$$ to become a master EO blender, so have been doing a bit of research on and exploring Fragrance Oils.

My questions:
  • What are your favorite FO companies and why? I ask because I find a wide range of prices (and shipping 😳) and different levels of 'user friendliness' with detailed descriptions. Where would you steer a Newbie?
  • I'm looking for Clove/Cinnamon/Vanilla/Orange/Spice/Evergreen type fragrances, but know that they tend to contain 'hot' oils. Can any of you give me guidance on % of 'hot' FOs/PPO?
  • Does more expensive necessarily mean higher quality?
I'll leave it there for now. My intent is to buy several small (1-2 oz.) bottles and make small, 1 lb. batches of soap to see what happens, but I'd appreciate any guidance you can offer 🙂.

I like Nature’s Garden, Nurture Soap, Rustic Escentuals, Wholesale Supplies Plus. I don’t have just one supplier. Sadly, trial and error is part of the process. Check out the Fragrance Review on the forum. Most suppliers will have reviews and IFRA usage rates. Anything with cinnamon will have a low rate of use.

I don't know what part of CNY you're in so I would suggest Elements Bath & Body, Nurture Soap and Nature's Garden for those FOs. I would only recommend Camden Grey's Forest Walk FO if you can meet their minimum purchase of $50+ purchase. There is Save on Scents too but I would suggest ordering their sniffies (you get 5 in their strongest concentration) and keep in mind that they are in NYC and we're much more delayed than the rest of the state.

I like Nurture Soap and Nature's Garden
Candlescience is another favorite but I really have to be careful not to order fragrances not intended for soap or have low percentage usage in soap. I do find a lot of their fragrances behave badly in CP.
I've also been very happy with Aztec.

I find Natures Garden very reasonable.
No kidding. I compared 3 items I wanted from Nature's Garden to WSP and found I was paying more with WSP before their Handling fee. I subsequently added 3 FOs to my cart to try and I was still only a dollar short of what WSP was going to charge me. Sometimes, it pays to pay the shipping.

It's taken me a long time and many different suppliers, but my favorites right now are Nurture Soap and BeScented. They both have fantastic testing notes in CP soap, their fragrances seem to really "stick" in soap, and they are reasonable, even with shipping. BeScented actually refunds overages on shipping.

Nurture Soap, Fragrance Buddy, WSP are the ones I order from most often. Once or twice a year I will order from Bramble Berry and Sweet Cakes because they both have fragrances I really like. What I’ve tried from Majestic Mountain Sage and Rustic Escentuals I have been happy with. Most of what I’ve tried from Elements Bath and Body have been good, and Nature’s Garden has been very hit or miss for me, with more misses than hits.

Nurture Soap, Fragrance Buddy, WSP are the ones I order from most often. Once or twice a year I will order from Bramble Berry and Sweet Cakes because they both have fragrances I really like. What I’ve tried from Majestic Mountain Sage and Rustic Escentuals I have been happy with. Most of what I’ve tried from Elements Bath and Body have been good, and Nature’s Garden has been very hit or miss for me, with more misses than hits.
Have you
Have you tried “Sweet and Sexy” from Elements? Fabulous fragrance, actually slowed my trace. I really love it.

I use NG and Candle Science, will occasionally use WSP if I'm ordering something else (they have good prices for B&B packaging) and the FO is on sale. I stopped buying FO's from Micas & More, I found them extremely unreliable in soap - most don't hold scent longer than a month or so after cure, or cause DOS. I do have a few FO's from Nurture that another maker gave me, but I haven't used them.

I use Nurture soap quite a bit, they are a little limited in selection compared to others, but they are my fav for micas and supplies!
Nurture Soap and Nature's Garden are two of my favorites. Well priced and they ship in a flash. Nature's Garden actually has really quality raw ingredients, too. Except for micas, they are a one-stop-shop. Nurture Soap in general strikes me as an all-around great company that cares about their customers. And both NG and NS have unique scents.

Back