Fragrance oil measurement

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makingsoap21

Reaction score
I bought a fragrance oil it is 2 Oz and it said recommend measure meant for cold process is 1-1.5% . I’m still new to soap making so does that mean 1-1.5% of the weight of my batch I’m making ??
Thank you ! :)

that sounds like a very low usage rate for soap. Some suppliers, like Nurture Soap, have their usage rate based on the oils. Some (like Nature's Garden) is based on the total batch weight. Which fragrance is it, and from what supplier?

that sounds like a very low usage rate for soap. Some suppliers, like Nurture Soap, have their usage rate based on the oils. Some (like Nature's Garden) is based on the total batch weight. Which fragrance is it, and from what supplier?
It’s Natures oil Burberry for men

I thought it was very low as well. That’s why I was so confused :/ I’m thinking maybe the scent is strong ?

I thought it was very low as well. That’s why I was so confused :/ I’m thinking maybe the scent is strong ?
A lot of scent suppliers also make scents for candles, lotions, etc., so the usage rate in CP soap may not be their top priority. It's good to find scents that have a skin-safe usage rate of at least 4% if you want even a medium amount of noticeable fragrance. 5-6% would be better.

ETA: you might be able to mix it with another FO with a higher usage rate, in order to come up with a blend that you like and that is strong enough for your preferences.

A lot of scent suppliers also make scents for candles, lotions, etc., so the usage rate in CP soap may not be their top priority. It's good to find scents that have a skin-safe usage rate of at least 4% if you want even a medium amount of noticeable fragrance. 5-6% would be better.

ETA: you might be able to mix it with another FO with a higher usage rate, in order to come up with a blend that you like and that is strong enough for your preferences.
On their website they added each recommended for melt and pour , cps , candles & etc . Would this not be a safe fragrance oil to use since it’s 1-1.5% ?

What glendam said... per their listing Burberry for Men (our version of) Fragrance Oil

1599688486940.png

If you are doing CP soap you can either do 5% of your total weight or 5% of your oil weight if you are using it at the maximum.

I typically buy FO's that are in the 5-6% usage rate and use 3.5-4% of my total weight, that way I'm assured the fragrance will not cause irritation.

Latest posts

Back