Fragrance Oil in body butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlaalways1

Reaction score
I made emulsified whipped body butter. I usually add fragrance oil and after one day I have this weird smell in my body butter. It does not smell rotten but it smells like chemicals and nothing like the fragrance oil. What can I do to fix this ?

Give it a few days. I have a couple of FOs that do this, but they settle down after a few days. What are you ingredients?

Hello,

I used shea butter, mango butter, jojoba oil, propanediol 1,3, Fragrance oil, vitamin e, emulsifying wax, water....
The body butter smells so much like shea even if I used the refined one. Its been weeks and nothing

I have tried it with a different FO but the smell mixes with the smells of refined shea

The ingredients that I use have a smell but not strong at all. Also, the shea butter has a light smell... Are there any product out there that can elevate the smell of fragrance oils.

I used shea butter, mango butter, jojoba oil, propanediol 1,3, Fragrance oil, vitamin e, emulsifying wax, water....
The body butter smells so much like shea even if I used the refined one. Its been weeks and nothing

I have tried it with a different FO but the smell mixes with the smells of refined shea

A refined and deodorized Shea Butter should have no smell to it at all...it's the purpose behind paying more for it. If it has a smell, you may want to check that you are purchasing what you think you are purchasing and not a 'natural' Shea Butter. Then there is your Mango Butter...I've only purchased the 'natural', but there is also a refined/deodorized version too.

I've made a whipped body butter, but didn't add all the extra stuff you do...like water, emulsifying wax, and preservatives. I just took my Lotion Bar recipe (Cocoa and Shea Butters, and Beeswax. Melted it, mixed it well, chilled and then whipped it. And depending on the FO I am using, I do sometimes use a refined/deodorized Cocoa Butter.

You can't elevate your Fragrance. You may need to find fragrances that enhance the smell you are having from whatever it is. As I said, my refined/deodorized Shea has no smell to it that I can pick up. Could your shea be going bad?

This is basically a lotion -- Fats + water + emulsifier = lotion.

I don't see a preservative listed in the OPs ingredients. I hope the OP just forgot to mention it, but if there really is no preservative, one other possibility for the odor is microbial growth.

This is basically a lotion -- Fats + water + emulsifier = lotion.

I don't see a preservative listed in the OPs ingredients. I hope the OP just forgot to mention it, but if there really is no preservative, one other possibility for the odor is microbial growth.
I asked but didn't get a response, so I'm guessing not?

Latest posts

Back