Quantcast

Fragrance Oil in body butter

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Carlaalways1

Reaction score
I made emulsified whipped body butter. I usually add fragrance oil and after one day I have this weird smell in my body butter. It does not smell rotten but it smells like chemicals and nothing like the fragrance oil. What can I do to fix this ?

TheGecko

Reaction score
Give it a few days. I have a couple of FOs that do this, but they settle down after a few days. What are you ingredients?

Carlaalways1

Reaction score
Hello,

I used shea butter, mango butter, jojoba oil, propanediol 1,3, Fragrance oil, vitamin e, emulsifying wax, water....
The body butter smells so much like shea even if I used the refined one. Its been weeks and nothing

I have tried it with a different FO but the smell mixes with the smells of refined shea

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
refined shea really shouldn't have much of a smell. Are you sure it's refined and not just light?

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Refined shea really has no smell in my experience. What are yo using for preservation? Some preservatives smell. Vitamin E can smell too.

Carlaalways1

Reaction score
The ingredients that I use have a smell but not strong at all. Also, the shea butter has a light smell... Are there any product out there that can elevate the smell of fragrance oils.

TheGecko

Reaction score
I used shea butter, mango butter, jojoba oil, propanediol 1,3, Fragrance oil, vitamin e, emulsifying wax, water....
The body butter smells so much like shea even if I used the refined one. Its been weeks and nothing

I have tried it with a different FO but the smell mixes with the smells of refined shea
A refined and deodorized Shea Butter should have no smell to it at all...it's the purpose behind paying more for it. If it has a smell, you may want to check that you are purchasing what you think you are purchasing and not a 'natural' Shea Butter. Then there is your Mango Butter...I've only purchased the 'natural', but there is also a refined/deodorized version too.

I've made a whipped body butter, but didn't add all the extra stuff you do...like water, emulsifying wax, and preservatives. I just took my Lotion Bar recipe (Cocoa and Shea Butters, and Beeswax. Melted it, mixed it well, chilled and then whipped it. And depending on the FO I am using, I do sometimes use a refined/deodorized Cocoa Butter.

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
You can't elevate your Fragrance. You may need to find fragrances that enhance the smell you are having from whatever it is. As I said, my refined/deodorized Shea has no smell to it that I can pick up. Could your shea be going bad?

DeeAnna

Reaction score
This is basically a lotion -- Fats + water + emulsifier = lotion.

I don't see a preservative listed in the OPs ingredients. I hope the OP just forgot to mention it, but if there really is no preservative, one other possibility for the odor is microbial growth.

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This is basically a lotion -- Fats + water + emulsifier = lotion.

I don't see a preservative listed in the OPs ingredients. I hope the OP just forgot to mention it, but if there really is no preservative, one other possibility for the odor is microbial growth.
I asked but didn't get a response, so I'm guessing not?

Latest posts